closing pool with automatic cover in Indiana

Aug 11, 2012
Hi-

Since we have had a pool(2years) the pool company has closed it. They put 50 gallons of antifreeze in it. Crazy! Anyway, I found someone to close it, but asked my friend that I got his name from how the pool closing person deals with blowing out the lines and having the water high enough for the cover. He said he drains 5". This concerns me, I would think this would be a problem for the cover, and then any snow over the winter adding more weight.

What do you do if you have an auto cover? I have read a few past posts, but they were from years ago.

Thanks

He may close your pool differently than he does your friends pool. I'd ask the guy that's going to close it how he's going to handle protecting the cover. He may just plug the suction and returns and leave the water level high enough to take care of the cover.

We do use our autocover as our winter cover and it seems to be holding up just fine. My pool builder closed my pool the first year and basically walked me through it so that I could do it myself in future years.

I have done it myself the last three years. I leave the water level at its normal level to support the cover. Blow the lines etc, cap the returns, gizmo in the skimmer ( the one with the hole running through from the top).

I put about a gallon or two of antifreeze into the skimmer through the gizmo and another gallon or so in the return line from the pad.

I'm not really convinced that I need the antifreeze since I blow the lines fairly well, but just in case.

Thanks!

I did end up talking to the company that has closed in past. They do have an option to blow out the lines and minimal anti freeze. They keep the water level the same and use the cover we have. Glad to hear that we do not have to have the water lower and then me worry all winter that we are straining it!!

We have been using the cover the last winters as well. It sounds like what you are doing mnb. Glad to hear it works!!

We live in Indiana, and have a 20x40 auto cover. We blow out the lines, use antifreeze, and drop the water below the skimmers. We close the cover and let it snow. The cover has enough 'stretch' to drop down and still sit on the lowered water. The water supports the weight of the snow. We leave the cover pump on all winter so when the snow melts, it is pumped away immediately.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.