Do without the aqua smarte system?

Aug 27, 2012
I've been reading these posts and I'm a little confused. We are newbies to this whole above ground pool thing. We bought a 24 ft. round from Watson's and like many of you were given the aqua smarte system. So my question is, if we disconnect the system and decide not to use it, what do we do to keep the pool clean and clear? In other words, what are the steps necessary without that system? Right now, they have us shocking our pool once a week with granular chlorine (1 lb.), then a couple of days later putting in a capful or two of phos free and then a couple of days after that putting in one bag of Non Chlorine BLAST. Would I just continue to do that without the aqua smarte system? Thank you for bearing with me with all of these questions. We are seriously clueless on this subject.

:wave: Welcome :wave:

I am not sure what the aqua smarte system is, but it sounds like we would not recommend you doing anything that you are currently doing ... relax though ... you can learn ;)

Start by reading Pool School (button at the upper right). That will start giving you an understanding of the actual pool chemistry and the terminology we used (so we do not get each other confused).

Also having a good test kit is the best investment you can make to take control of your pool. See the link in my signature for the kits we recommend.

What we strive for in knowing our pools chemistry through accurate testing and then only adding what it needs ... thus saving money.

Generally you need to keep the pH and the FC (chlorine) in range. If you do this, you NEVER have to do weekly "shocking" or even worry about phosphates.

Once the pool is balanced, you will only be needing to add liquid chlorine (bleach) to add FC and maybe some muriatic acid to lower pH or borax to raise pH.

It will be hard to give you specific help until you get a little understanding and can post up a full set of test results.

jblizzle and linen gave you excellent advise and i can't say how important a good quality test kit is the tf100 is the mac daddy of test kits and the shipping is second to none!!
This pool is my first pool and purchased a swg add on and after seeing how easy it is to maintain with the BBB method i took it back and got a refund (never opened the box)and i have never had to shock my pool and it has been sparkly clear since the beginning of june this method works and is so much cheaper than pool store chemicles.....Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.