So the filter blew up...

blazer

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 1, 2010
Hi all,

I accidentally blew up my friends pool filter and am helping him replace it. He had a 31" Hayward sand filter running a 20k gallon pool. From what I understand that is overkill. So we are trying to figure out what would be a good replacement.

We have been looking at a Hayward 24" sand filter but I am worried the pump is too big for it. The pump is a 1.5hp K48M2N110. I haven't had much luck finding out what the GPM is for this pump but looking at newer Hayward models it seems it is probably between 80 and 90 GPM.

My question is, do we have to get the pricier 31" filter or can we run a smaller one with the same pump? Of course suggestions not related to my question are very welcome. :)

Thanks in advance,
Dan

From what I understand that is overkill.
No. Bigger is better with filters. You must have enough pressure for an adequate backwash so the pump needs to match the filter size and the 31" certainly does.

Ideally, a full rated 1hp pump and the 30" filter would be a better match for the pool, but if you are keeping the pump, do not go to a smaller filter. (The filters are also GPM rated and should be rated about 20% more than the pump.)

How did you "blow it up"...what was the failure mode.

The number you posted is for the motor, do you have a pump model number?

As duraleigh mentioned, bigger is generally better for filters. If the op was able to get a good backwash, then I wouldn't go smaller.

Ok, so 31" or larger it is. I was hoping to save a little money but it does not look like that is going to be the case. Can you recommend an inexspensive but good filter to fit my needs? I also would prefer if it was available locally (Phoenix) because the pool is green and getting worse.

I can't find a pump model number but I think it came as a package with the filter which is a Hayward S310S.

My friend had told me to turn on the jets by turning the jandy valve 180 degrees from where it currently was at. Well he failed to mention there were two jandy valves and the one he wanted me to turn was hidden behind a chair. So instead of turning on the vents, I stopped all flow into the pool, pressure built up in the filter, and it blew it's top. Took about two seconds. The top bounced off the wall and then nailed me in the gut. I have quiet the bruise from the experience.

blazer said:
My friend had told me to turn on the jets by turning the jandy valve 180 degrees from where it currently was at. Well he failed to mention there were two jandy valves and the one he wanted me to turn was hidden behind a chair. So instead of turning on the vents, I stopped all flow into the pool, pressure built up in the filter, and it blew it's top. Took about two seconds. The top bounced off the wall and then nailed me in the gut. I have quiet the bruise from the experience.

If the top blew off - can't it be fixed? Or did it tear the structure of the tank? Also have you checked Craigslist? Where are you located BTW?

Lastly - for now - with the green started - dump bleach in and use brushes to get some circulation or drop a sump pump in if you have a cheap one to just stir the water.

I am surprised that the pump was able to generate enough pressure for that to even happen. I thought the filters were good to like 50psi and that pool pumps could not even generate that much pressure.

Any idea what the pressure reading was? How old is the filter? I had mine crack and Hayward sent me a new housing.

I have attached a picture of what broke. The rim pulled free basically. I don't think it can be fixed. I have checked craigslist a bit but have been unable to wade through the thousands of ads.

I live in the Phoenix area, Tempe specifically.

Good advice on the chlorine / sump pump. Will do and thanks.

I have no idea what the pressure reading was. It blew really fast though. I think the filter was about 10 years old and sitting in the arizona sun the entire time.

Who did you contact at Hayward to get the new housing?

IIRC, I just sent an email to customer service ... although in my case I knew when it was installed as I had the pool built. Certainly worth bringing to their attention, can not say anything will come of it though.

BTW, I am not seeing a picture anywhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BadOleRoss said:
I would be tempted to try and repair the crack with some type of plastic/PVC glue. You really have nothing to lose and it's only a couple of bucks.

That seems pretty risky if the thing might blow off again ... and hit someone in the face instead of the stomach.

Yeah, I don't consider repairing this an option really. If I had been hit directly instead of the ricochet off the wall, I definitely would have bruised an organ. I can't even imagine what would have happened if I had been hit in the head.

Yeah that is a difficult place to try and fix (don't ask me how I know). I would replace the filter.

I too am surprised that you could develop enough pressure to pop that. The one that I have dealt with, was due to not being drained over the winter...i.e. a lot of pressure.

blazer said:
I found a Hayward 31" with sand and valve for $569 at my local (non-chain) pool supply store. Is that a good price?
That is a very good price from what I can see.

linen said:
I too am surprised that you could develop enough pressure to pop that. The one that I have dealt with, was due to not being drained over the winter...i.e. a lot of pressure..

Could this have happened? (not sure of your location)
Maybe the filter was already damaged, and that is why it blew off at something likely well under 50 psi.

I live in Phoenix Arizona so no freezing or winterizing here.

The return line to the pool was shut off and that is why it blew. It also has a 1.5hp pump hooked up to it which is pretty hefty. This is my guess to why it blew anyway. I am not a professional. :)

Sorry ... not sure how I forgot you location after you had mentioned it at least 2 times previously.

I just did not think pool pumps could achieve that pressure even with the returns closed ... I am no expert either though ;)

I'm not sure what "helping your friend replace it" means. And then you say "I was hoping to save a little money." It sounds like you are paying at least a portion of the replacement cost, if not all of it.

Your friend didn't really explain well enough what you were supposed to do so it does not appear to me that you are responsible. Heck, his failure to explain the situation with the valves got you hurt. I'm a lawyer so I can't help it--but he might owe YOU for your personal injury!! You're a nice guy to be helping him.

Yeah, it also was a 9 year old filter in direct sunlight. We are sharing the replacement costs because I value our friendship more than a couple hundred bucks. He is going to end up paying around $400 and I am going to end up paying around $200.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.