Dirt, Dead Algea, or Sand?

Jul 16, 2010
Newark, DE
Hello Everyone,

This is my 2nd season using the (TAYLOR 2006) testing kit and the (BBB) method. I have had nothing but success ever since thanks to everyone here. The reason why I am here today is within the last few weeks we have had countless rain storms in our area and I discovered what appears to be dirt in the bottom of my pool. Hopefully, someone can identify what it is exactly with the pictures provided?

I have been on a weekly schedule with brushing and vacuuuuming since owning my pool until last week when I discovered the dirt. Since then, I have been brushing and vacuuuuming the pool daily with even using a sock wrapped around the skimmer basket to catch the fine particles the filter misses. After every session, I drain and carefully clean my cartridge filter before reinstalling and starting over the following day when the nightmare reappears. I am loosing my mind and a lot of water here!!!

FC=5
PH=7.6
TA=80
CH=200
CYA=30

These are my current water readings and my numbers usually stay around the same every evening when tested. Any suggestions are appreciated :goodjob:

Attachments

• Algea (800x600).jpg
    Algea (800x600).jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Algea 2 (800x608).jpg
    Algea 2 (800x608).jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Algea 3 (800x772).jpg
    Algea 3 (800x772).jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 122
Can you get hold of some of it? Algae feels slimy and dirt/sand feel gritty.

What is the CC test result?

I suggest you go ahead and raise the pool to shock level tonight and do the OCLT to determine if it is organic.

If it is indeed organic, you will have a head start on the shock process. Otherwise, no harm done.

Butterfly,

Tonight's readings,

FC=6
CC=0
PH=7.6
TA=80
CH=200
CYA=30

I decided not bring the pool up to shock level tonight until I preform the OCLT. I don't want to waste any bleach if I don't have to. I will update you first thing tomorrow morning with the new test readings and I guess we will go from there. I will also dive in and try to swipe a sample in my hand to feel the texture.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.