Stabilizer Correction for Alkalinity Tests?

Lee1

Jul 5, 2012
I am a first-time pool owner and am maintaining it myself - haven't taken the leap to BBB yet but am considering for next season. A couple times a month, I take water to my pool builder's retail store to compare results to my TFT-100 kit. Pool is ~15,000 gallons quartz plaster and I am using ProTeam 3" tabs, ProTeam Supreme Plus (borate kept at 50 ppm) and ProTeam Shock as needed (plus muriatic acid and baking soda when needed). My tests are usually pretty close to pool store's except alkalinity. For example, I tested my levels on Sunday and within an hour, without swimming, I took a sample to store. My alkalinity measured 110ppm using TFT-100 and theirs, which denotes "w/stabilizer correction" measured 72ppm. Do you know what they mean by stabilizer correction and is there a formula (or even a need) to do this? My pH seems pretty consistently on the high end (has gotten up to 8.0 but I brought it down with muriatic acid).

Any advice appreciated. I will call pool store tomorrow but thought I would check with y'all first.

Thanks.

Lee

There is never any point in calculating adjusted/correct TA. Here at TFP we always use the TA level straight from the test kit, and never use the "stabilizer correction". The "corrected" number is only useful when calculating LSI. To begin with, hardly anyone needs to know their LSI, and even if you do, CSI is preferred. CSI does not use/need the "corrected" number. The Pool Calculator does all of the math required to calculate CSI for you.

If you have a pool store "corrected" TA level and want to convert back to regular TA, add 1/3 of the CYA level to "corrected" TA to get regular TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.