Start build this fall, finish spring?

ssgumby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 17, 2012
Maryland
Wondering if there would be issues doing it this way. Could I have my excavator do the dig this fall, then I set the walls, pour the footer to secure the walls then leave the plumbing, liner, vermiculite, electrical until spring?

This is a DIY, since its so late in the year I dont really need it done this year but would like it up and running first thing in the next year. I was thinking I could tarp it really well to keep water/snow from filling it up.

Any issues with proceeding this way?

It is something you could do but my 2 concerns would be snow, ice and other winter weather that could affect your dig and then there is the concern of the opened hole and the dangers that come along with that. If you get a lot of snow fall, even covered with a tarp it might not work out very well.

Would it be better to also put down the vermiculite?

So basically excavate, set walls, pour beam (possible vermic bottom)? My hesitation to backfilling would be that I would not have plumbing/electrical done yet.

Yes, the vermiculite, liner, and pool full of water. Basically put the pool in and let the ground settle for your decking in the spring. That is what we did last fall in Minnesota. We did not cut the liner for the light niches but the conduit was complete. We dropped the pool water level further in the spring and pulled the light wires and then worked on the deck. And, we are still working :)

The issue with getting the liner in is that by the time im too that point it most likely wont be warm enough to get a good fit out of it, thats why I was thinking of waiting until spring when the days would be warm and sunny to do the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.