Interesting Compupool Test

Apr 20, 2012
In my quest to understand how my Compupool CPSC48 works, and to try to understand why I periodically get the high salt indication, I decided to run a little test.

Tech support sent the calibration instructions, and the told me to set the polarity numbers to -18. The calibration instructions say something different, and it also talks about using a clamp ampmeter to measure the current to the cell. I like this idea since I prefer to have a scientific reason for doing something rather than a seemingly arbitrary action.

Since I have a clamp meter, I thought I'd see what this thing does.

When it goes though the power up salt check, it will run the output current to the cell from 0 up to about 36-37 A. Interestingly, it will do this no matter what the polarity corrections are set to.

When I entered the calibration mode, both polarities were set to -18, and the current was 34.6 and 34.7.

I changed the settings to achieve 30A, this resulted in -63 and -67. When I restarted the unit, after the check ran up to 36A, it went back to normal operation - 100% setting resulted in 30A, 50% was 20.4A, and 10% was 8.0A.

Seeing the strength of the "cloud" was weak at 100%, I realized that the apparent maximum current is around 36 or 37A, the point that the startup test runs up to.

I chose to re-calibrate mine to 35A - in order to have a little cushion below the max.

The polarities needed to be -6 on Pol1, and -7 on Pol2. Both now read 35.0A.

Restart of the unit was the same as before and here is the output % and Current on Pol2:
10 11.0
20 15.3
30 19.3
40 22.4
50 26.1
60 28.5
70 30.9
80 32.7
90 34.0
100 35.1

Salt concentration according to test strip is 3330.
Actual water temp: 86 F
Temp Reading in CPSC: 96

So what does all this mean? I don't know, but at least I understand how it works and what the correction factor does. It will be interesting to see if it changes after a few months, and what would happen at a different salt concentration. I'll also see if I still get the random "high salt" indication.

Just wanted to post an update:

After calibrating the system using the meter, I have not had any high salt indications. I've kept the FC pretty consistent at 8.0 with the output set at 60%.

Seems to be working very well!

I've recalibrated mine to the -18 setting. My pool currently tests at 4400 ppm, the CPSC48 thought it was 2500. After recalibrating, it says 3500, but I seem to recall that's an average over the last few tests. I'll see what it says after a day or so.

Note mine was reading LOW Salt, where yours was reading HIGH Salt.

I think I'm going to go back with the clamp meter and set it to 30A as you've done if this doesn't make them read the same.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.