Pentair Challenger Hums...Doesn't run.

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I have a Pentair Challenger 3/4 hp pump that all of the sudden quit. It is about 8 yrs old and has never had so much as a hiccup. Today I went out and noticed it wasn't running. I checked the breaker and it was thrown. I reset it and the motor just sits there and hums. What is the first thing to check?

Turn the power off and make sure the motor will turn. If it turns freely, the capacitor is a good starting guess. It's under the bump on top of the motor.

In the time between my original post and your reply, I called the pool store. The tech told me that I need a new motor and asked if I want a new motor or a new motor and pump. I said I didn't know and that they would have to tell me that.

So they said they are going to order me a motor. It won't be in for a few days and I wonder what will happen if it is actually something with the pump?

JohnT, back to your advice: I removed the shaft cap from the back of the motor and the motor spins fine. I can hear water movement when I turn it. I have located the capacitor. How do I check it? Or is it just a "replace and hope it fixes it" deal?

Additionally, based on the fact that the shaft turns freely I am more comfortable with the motor being the problem here instead of the pump. Is that reasonable thinking?

Thinkly said:
Additionally, based on the fact that the shaft turns freely I am more comfortable with the motor being the problem here instead of the pump. Is that reasonable thinking?

I'd about bet on the capacitor. It will probably be about $20 and 5 minutes to replace it. Do you have a multimeter?

Shut your power off to the motor. Short across the capacitor leads with a screwdriver or clip lead. Remove the cap from the wiring and set your meter to Ohms on the highest range. Put the probes on the terminals of the cap. A working cap should start near zero and climb until it overranges.

JohnT, I owe you a beer. :cheers: Actually I owe you several. $27 for a new capacitor and I am pumping water again. This saved me a lot of money and a headache. The pool company had ordered me a new motor and they were set to replace it, if I hadn't gotten your advice.

Seems strange that they wouldn't have came out and did this on there own? At least they could have made the profit off the service call and marking up the capacitor? Oh well, I am happy to reap the benefits thanks to your great advice. Thanks again!

Good deal. That's the great thing about a place like this. You get all the experience of everybody here without having to learn it the hard way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.