Just bought a house with a pool this Monday

tj__r

Jul 6, 2012
Way north of Chicago
I'm sure you guys have heard this one before...

We just bought a house with a pool. Got the basic rundown from the seller: It's 25000 gallon, he showed me the pump, cartridge filter, place to put the chlorine pucks, valves, strainers, heater, etc. Then he handed me his Taylor K2005 test kit and told me to read the 70 page book included - said it had most of what I needed to know. Also showed me how to read the filter pressure gauge and said to clean the filter when it hits 27PSI (was 19 when he put in last clean cartridge.)

Pool came with an electric robot cleaner - got a quick training on that. Plus there's a Polaris 180 cleaner with booster pump which he said he doesn't use because he prefers the electric cleaner. And he showed me how to use the hand vacuum set. He said he usually opens the pool in spring but has a service close it. Pump, filter, and heater are in basement of house well below pool.

I guess it's a plaster pool as there are steps in the shallow end.

Anyhow, I did the tests in the kit - all of them even tho I realize some you don't have to do very often. Results are:
PH 7.3 or 7.4, FC 5ppm, TC 5 ppm, TA 90, CH 125, CYA 55
So, I guess PH and CH are a bit low but it's safe to swim. We've had to add a fair amount of water the last couple days using an automatic filler connected to a garden hose. We ran the robot two days to get a few pieces of junk off the bottom. Found it knocks the bottom drain strainer off - any thoughts? Deep end is like 8' deep so I poked it back on using the net. Found one live mouse in a strainer and a frog in the pool - sent both outside the fence.

On the immediate list I think are getting PH and CH up, plus either buying some more chlorine pucks (have 4 left) or getting some bleach or pool chlorine. For later is getting a solar cover to minimize using the gas heater. Any comments are more than welcome and very much appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

Your CH definitely needs to come up for a plaster pool, but your pH is perfect.

Having drain cover problems can be dangerous. Swimmers can be trapped by the suction if it is fully open. It should be screwed in place.

Your CYA is marginally high already, so liquid chlorine or cal hypo until your CH gets where it needs to be would be better for chlorination.

Thanks, all. I get it on not using the pucks because they continuously add CYA, which is high enough already. But does that mean adding chlorine every day? What about days when I'm not home to add it, like if I'm gone for a weekend?

On the other hand, if my CYA went down a bit, I could let FC go down a bit, right?

tj__r said:
Thanks, all. I get it on not using the pucks because they continuously add CYA, which is high enough already. But does that mean adding chlorine every day? What about days when I'm not home to add it, like if I'm gone for a weekend?

On the other hand, if my CYA went down a bit, I could let FC go down a bit, right?
During the swim season, you're out there everyday anyway, aren't you? :wink:

Pucks are great for weekends away; that's why most of us leave a little room on our CYA levels.

And if you drain and refill some water to lower your CYA, then, yes, you can maintain a lower FC level. However, the lower the CYA, the faster the sun breaks it down, so consumption may go up a little.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.