Pool Pole Replacement Questions

apwelb

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2011
Apple Valley, MN
Hello. Well, my 12 year old son (behaving like a 12 year old boy), basically broke our telescoping brush handle. He bent it and since it is aluminum, when he attempted to bend it back it broke. It is now functionally about 2/3 as long as it was.

I can only state I was relieved when I heard he wasn't using it to try to pole vault from one side of the pool to another.

Soooooo, while I think up several difficult and dirty jobs for him to do to pay for said pole :grrrr: , I was wondering if anybody has an opinion as to best manufacturerer/model of this item.

I am a tool guy at heart and hate cheap tools so if you have an opinion, let me hear it.

Thanks!

I have a Skimlite Eliptilock which came with my pool when it was installed in 1985. The handle and a plastic collar on it were getting a little dingy, so I bought a shiny new outside lock pole a couple of years ago. I got a few months out of it before the very light aluminum bent in two and broke off, so I went back to the Eliptilock, which I am still using. 27 years plus for $82 or a few months for $25. You do the math!

Yeah, this pole came with the pool/house and it has worked well so far but not having purchased it myself, I have no point of reference.

Perfect. The Skimlite it is. I checked out their site and it looks cool. Would have never found it without this site! Thanks, guys!

Friend of mine just bought an Eliptilock on my recommendation as well.

He said the exact same thing as derekm: reliable tool that works everyday for who-knows-how-long for 80 bux, or the cheapo things the pool stores sell so you buy a new one every year for 25.00.

After pushing down on one of our cheapie poles and having it collapse to the point I almost fell in, I didnt really care how much a good one cost!

CraigMW said:

Nice find! When I was looking I couldnt find anywhere on the net that would actually ship it (Im guessing Amazon will). They wouldnt ship because they were worried it would get bent/dented before arrival.

BTW, the heavier duty version is here on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Skimlite-3008-Pro ... 219&sr=1-2

62.00 but its the thicker wall tubing model. This is the actual model that I have and paid 72.00 for.

If you dont want to/cant buy on Amazon, I had luck asking a few local pool builders if they could get me one and one of them was able to. Didnt pay shipping, just had to wait for it to arrive from their distributor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The description is a little confusing, "The only pole made without parts"????

What's the eptilock and how does it work vs. a twist lock pole? My pole is one month old (Lowes) and already has a weird bulge near one of the holes for the quick connection snap in/out things.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.