chlorine level, ph level, cya level

Oh, thanks so much. We do have a Lowe's a little ways away but worth the trip. I sound like I'm way off in the woods, but really not. We just haven't caught up completely. I've lived here all my life, around and about from here and there, and this place was just a farming town until about 25 years ago, and bam we got hit with development. Kind of sad, but there you are. As I age, it's really nice to have these things near by. Off to big town I go. I will wait to see how it all turns out. The water is crystal clear and when I can test it on Monday for the cya, I will see what needs to be done if anything. Thanks so much. Can't say it enough. You've been especially helpful, techguy, but all of those who answered my many questions have been totally awesome people.

I'm writing this question again, plain and simple. Put it in before, but can't find it, so am trying again without all the stuff: How do you maintain a pool when you are gone for a while, like a month or so? Just close it up?

If you're going to be gone that long the best thing to do is a modified winterization. You don't have to disconnect things but you should bring it to shock level and put the winter cover on it. Some people let the pump run on a timer and some shut it off completely.

thanks, will do that. This site has been a find, let me tell you. My pool is still great. Had a big storm here last night and was worried it was not going to register good or be gone in the tree tops. But, all is well. I'm so impressed.

Checked my pool today after being gone. Husband mowed and grass went into the pool as he didn't put on cover. Yikes! I got the grass out, but notice that there are little "strands" of dark matter at the bottom. Not algae, I hope. I tried picking it up with the net but it just disappears and all I get are flecks of dirt and grass. Lots of little pieces of grass. Darn it. What are the strings of brown or dark stuff, i wonder?

Krocker,

Can you put your pool and filter information in your signature. I can't see what you have and it makes it harder to help.

Do you have a pool vacuum?

Is this an Intex-style sack pool? Framed or EasySet?

I was looking at the recommendation about how to manage it while you are gone for a month, if your water is inexpensive and clean (not a given everywhere) it may be easier to either do the above or drain it and just refill it when you get back. I know you can "winterize" it but not all sack pools have enough filter to sit unattended for a month.

Oh.. and I assumed you were a guy, pardon any "incorrect" pronouns. Bad mistake around here, there are more women involved in pools that there are at my house. At my house, it the sun shine on it... it's my job... Super Dad or Honey-Do's your choice, just as long as I do them.. She will water the veggie garden and eat the veggies though.

That I will have to check on. I noticed that information is usually down, but being so new at this, I never thought to do that. Give me a day or so to check on that. I just don't know that info. I got the info to put stuff in and then forgot it all. I am that way. Usually my husband does all the outside stuff, but the pool was my idea so it's my baby. I do enjoy doing it though so won't complain or whine. I am a whiner and do it well. Do you have any idea what the streaks of dark stuff is? I'm just concerned that it's the start of something. My pool is now to clear I can see the bottom and all the stuff down there. bugs, etc. I try to get it up, but it's not easy. I will have to vaccuum but have tried to put that off as it sounds scarey in all that water. But, we do have one so will attempt it in the next few days. Thanks so much. I appreciate your help.

I would guess it chunks of grass clippings and nothing to be too concerned about. If he used a string trimmer, it could be little parts of bark, grass roots or other "green stuff". A vacuum would likely get it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We've been enjoying the pool. Had a moment or two when the pool didn't register very good after a lot of swimming kids were in it. i actually felt a little sad that the kids were ruining my beautiful pool!!! Got over that, but it made me laugh at myself. They are having so much fun. I check the pool every morning and night to make sure it's ok and it's been very good. I had a little bleach at night and it seems to be good. We're swimming again today, the little ones are already begging to go in and it's only 10:26 am. The water is a little cold, so will wait for a while to get in. It still looks beautiful. I hven't checked on those specs yet. Been so busy, but will ask my daughter to help me with that. Will be gone for a few days. Thanks to all of you for giving me such a beautiful pool.

I have been enjoying my pool a lot this weekend, it was about 104F this weekend. I did have two doggie accidents LINK

But, I was in the pool fishing out little leaves and bees with an aquarium net about 3"x4". I have been stung twice by scooping out bees, I am going to use my little net to get them from now on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.