Help - confusion reigns!

What happens when you give a firm tug on the chrome trim?

It's my understanding the light sits in it's niche with extra power cord to allow you to take it to the surface. Do this with the light off... it may depend on the water for cooling.

If the builder did it right, there should be enough cord to set it on the side of the pool. If the light has never been removed before, it can take a little pulling to get it off. I think they normally have one screw at the top, and the bottom is held in with a little hook on the inside. Take the screw out, and it should almost float out. Might have to pull a little at the top were the screw was. The bottom should have a latch to hold the bottom in place. Before doing anything with the light fixture, I always flip the breaker to the light off. And, yes, lights depend on water for cooling. They shouldn't be operated out of the water for more than a sec or so.

im no expert by any means, but hows your cya level? if you just refilled the pool it should be low, thus causing the sun to burn up your chlorine, if its too high the FC needed to maintain sanitizing level is high as well. it does sound like you are fighting something in your pool (algae). ive been fighting with a high cya level for a while with the only cure being to drain and refill the pool. I usually add about 182oz of clorox every other day to get FC between 10-15 and it drops in 24-48 hours. I should bring up to shock level and hold. keep pushing forward, you will get to a plateau eventually. good luck!

I will try the several suggestions about the light, tomorrow. I'm not going to jerk with it for long as I don't fancy being in water and playing with electricity. I'm funny that way!

Last night before bed the FC was 23, CC still 0 and water still clear. When I tested this morning, the FC was 22. If you've been keeping up with this, 2 nights of a 1 ppm loss, then 1 night of a 2 ppm loss and now back to a 1 ppm loss. Still haven't gotten to that magical, less than 1 ppm loss. I feel I'm close and hopefully tomorrow will have good news, both in the FC level and on my getting the chrome ring off of the light.

Thanks again for all suggestions.

Jim

OK, here we go again.

Here are my test results before 2 weeks of shock treatment.

Ph = 7.6
FC = 1.0
CC = 0
TA = 140
CH = 350
CYA = 40

Here are my results yesterday afternoon after the shock treatment.

Ph = 8.0
FC = 1.5
CC = 0
TA = 130
CH = 310
CYA = <20

I added water, about 200 gallons, and we had 1 night with rainfall, explains the increas of ph.

I added 1/2 a gallon of muriatic acid yesterday as well as a 1/2 a gallon of conditioner.

Today's results are:

Ph = 7.2
FC = 1.5
CC = <.5
TA = 110
CH = 310
CYA = <20

I understand why the TA dropped after adding the muriatic acid. My confusion is the CYA. Everywhere I read it states that draining the pool and refilling is the only way to lower the CYA level, but yet mine dropped more than 20 points during the 2 week shock treatment.

I opened the valve on my liquidator to about a 4 (almost all the way) after testing today. Hopefully the FC will be up tomorrow. My understanding is that the conditioner used to increase the CYA level takes about a week. Until I get that stabilized, I'll keep a close eye on the FC level.

Does anyone know why I got these weird readings? :? :?

Thanks!

Jim

There are a couple of different possibilities. Your CYA test might be defective, what kind of CYA test are you using and how old are the reagents? If you have an auto fill system you might have a leak and not have noticed. The CYA could have broken down while you had algae (extremely unlikely however).

CH also went down, which does suggest some water replacement has been happening, but not nearly enough to account for the change in CYA (unless your fill water is quite high in CH).

Speaking for Jim, he's using a TF-100 kit he received within the last 2-3 months. No auto-fill. Fill water not high in CH. I'm not answering in this thread because I'm not sure what happened either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.