Sealing old fitting

Jul 27, 2011
NY
I have an old side drain near the bottom that is leaking (it is no longer in use). I tried putting a vinyl patch around it, but because it sticks out, it didn't seal well and only slightly slowed down the leak. What else can I do to stop it?

I can't get a good picture but it is exactly the same as the return jet, just with a small grille that screws in instead of a jet fitting. I replaced the grille with a cap, so the leak must be where it passes through the liner.

The vinyl patch failed because water pressure from the leak is too great during the bonding process, one way around this would be to install a special vinyl patch that has some kind of open drainage that could be plugged with mechanical means after the patch bonds well.

This special patch could come from an old damaged above ground pool, then the vinyl around the drainage port along with the drainage port itself could be cut and used to patch your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.