Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening Muriatic Acid Bottles

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening Muriatic Acid Bottles

I've been lurking since last year when I purchased my home which had a pool. Reading the considerable knowledge base on this forum has been a real education and my pool is doing extremely well as a result.

I had the pool re-plastered over the winter and as a result I am pouring in lots of muriatic acid to keep the pH in check.

I'm sure someone has a fabulous trick to easily and safely open the muriatic acid bottles. Every brand I have tried comes with a seal under the cap that I find difficult to open. The best I have done is to punch a hole with a screwdriver and use pliers to pull it off. It just doesn't seem it should be so hard. I wash off the tools right away, but I am sure I am damaging them.

What do others do?

Thanks -- Marc
    My Pool
    15k Gal Gunite Pool w/8 ft Spa w/Spillover
    Hayward DE Filter + DE Separation Tank
    Legend Sweep, Pentair Gas Heater
    Stenner Metering Pump for Liquid Chlorine Injection (15 gallon tank)

2. Back To Top    #2
    I take a pocket knife and cut off the plastic cover, then rinse off the knife in the pool before dumping in the acid.

I also wear a mask and gloves since the few times I didn't I was coughing up a storm...
    30,000gal In-ground Gunite Pool DE filter
    Polaris 380 APC

BBB method all the way - Newb, like to absorb info and chatter, but take the experts' advise

3. Back To Top    #3
    I put on a rubber glove (the disposable kind), use a wooden shish kabob skewer to punch a few holes in the liner, then use the gloved hand to remove the liner and rinse everything in the pool.

4. Back To Top    #4
    I use a plastic knife from Wendy's. Has a fairly sharp point, and won't react if I get MA on it. Dunk it in the pool when I'm done.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5
    Hi Marc and welcome to TFP!

Have you seen SeanB's promo? Check it out, you might win the TF Test Kit!!

http://www.troublefreepool.com/about4922.html
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I just lay the bottle on it's side with the opening pointing in the general direction of the pool, take a running jump and STOMP on it! BTW, I'm going through shoes and pants an a pretty rapid rate, is there a forum to discuss that?

Actually I find all the gloves and goggles and hazmat suits pretty funny. I just use a pocket knife to cut open the seal, pull it off with my bare hands and throw it out. I wash my hands when I'm done but that's about it... of course I'm only able to find the 15% acid around me so it's half as strong as what most of you are probably using.
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

7. Back To Top    #7

I just use rubber gloves and then use my thumb to poke a hole .. walaa!
    ~Andrea

24,000 IG with spa and 4 ton waterfall. Equipment: Pentair 520 Clean & Clear, Pentair VS+SVRS Intelliflo, Pentair Whisperflo 2 HP, Polairis Cleaner, Intellibrites, Pentair Rainbow 320 in-line Chlorinator, Pentair Easy touch 8 wireless and spa side remote.

8. Back To Top    #8

Re: Opening Muriatic Acid Bottles

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Now I'm thinking about adding borax to slow the pH rise. The combination of new plaster and the aeration from the spa spillover has me adding acid almost daily.

Cheers all,
    Marc
    My Pool
    15k Gal Gunite Pool w/8 ft Spa w/Spillover
    Hayward DE Filter + DE Separation Tank
    Legend Sweep, Pentair Gas Heater
    Stenner Metering Pump for Liquid Chlorine Injection (15 gallon tank)

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by EskimoPie
    I just lay the bottle on it's side with the opening pointing in the general direction of the pool, take a running jump and STOMP on it! BTW, I'm going through shoes and pants an a pretty rapid rate, is there a forum to discuss that?

Pictures please!
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

10. Back To Top    #10

I switched to the pH Adjuster from HASA which use dry acid. I too have a new pool and had to add a little acid daily. I still have a few bottles left. I do the same as above, poke a hole then pull out. It's interesting to open a bottle when it's a bit humid out.
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by EskimoPie
    Actually I find all the gloves and goggles and hazmat suits pretty funny. I just use a pocket knife to cut open the seal, pull it off with my bare hands and throw it out. I wash my hands when I'm done but that's about it... of course I'm only able to find the 15% acid around me so it's half as strong as what most of you are probably using.
    Same here, real men don't need no stinkin gloves.

Actually it is a little bit of a concern. If you are right next to the pool how much can you hurt if you get a drop or two on your hands and just rinse it off right away? I cut mine with an old knife and rinse all of it in the pool knife, hand and the seal.

I will admit I didn't know about the fumes and opened my first a few weeks ago down wind. NEVER again will that happen wow.
    IG Vinyl liner, 21,500G sport bottom, TR-60 sand filter, 3/4 HP Whisper Flow, BBB with 12.5% Liquid Chlorine

12. Back To Top    #12

LOL sefrlw ... the exact same thing happened to me too, wasn't expecting it. I actually got a little weak in the knees for a second. Agreed, never again.
    20x40 IG Vinyl
    33k Gallons
    Triton TR-100 Sand Filter
    Pentair WFDS-6

13. Back To Top    #13

Maybe I partied too much in my 20's, but I kind of like the fumes...

Kidding, of course. I don't use gloves, either, but maybe I should, that stuff is potent!
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

14. Back To Top    #14
    If any one is interested, those fumes are hydrogen chloride gas. Once they react with moisture (such as in your nose and lungs) they from hydrochloric acid once again. (I am sure you are all aware that muriactic acid is just a name for 31% or less hydrochloric acid and that when dry acid is dissolved in water it does form sulfuric acid. )

15. Back To Top    #15

so, what are you saying bear......

I just take the cap off, and find a small pointy rock in the landscaping that surrounds the pool to pop the seal off and then rinse my hand in the water in case anything got on me. Then, I'll slowly pour it in around the edge of the pool by the different returns. I'll make one full pass around the pool with the jug spreading it out as much to help it dilute.

If your careful, there's not a lot of danger in it and you have 10s of 1000's of gallons to rinse off any that may get on you, just go slow, be careful and watch out for the fumes. I still have my 10 fingers and not any new ones growing yet, so I think I'm still okay at this point.
    My Pool - 18x24 fully setup Cabana, 22x48 gunite/quartz plaster (3-5-3 depth) & 8' spa w/ spill and 5' natural rock waterfall; Hayward DE filter/pumps/heater; Hayward Pro Logic controller; Phantom cleaner. Finished 06/01/07.

RedishConstruction.com

16. Back To Top    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by sredish
    so, what are you saying bear......

I am simply saying that muriatic acid, dry acid, and other pool chemicals need to be treated with respect and common sense.

17. Back To Top    #17

Please don't take my man comment as a lack of respect! I agree totally with the bear be careful. I wish I new about the fumes the first time!
    IG Vinyl liner, 21,500G sport bottom, TR-60 sand filter, 3/4 HP Whisper Flow, BBB with 12.5% Liquid Chlorine

18. Back To Top    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by sefrlw
    Please don't take my man comment as a lack of respect! I agree totally with the bear be careful. I wish I new about the fumes the first time!
    I didn't. I am probably one of the biggest 'cutups' among the mods except perhaps for the mermaid queen. Just read some of the stickies I wrote to get an idea of my twisted sense of humor!

19. Back To Top    #19

You have to be to have a yellow Hummer! (Btw, outstanding article!)
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

20. Back To Top    #20

I also use a sharp and pointy rocky to open it. Once the opening is started, I can pull it off by hand. I do wear PVC gloves and chemical handling goggles. Wash with soap and water when I am done.

Anybody know why the label on the acid bottles reads that it is for use in pools and RVs? What would you need HCl for an RV for?

Craig
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast