Burning eyes tonight - stumped

Jul 16, 2008
SW Michigan
Been trucking along with the BBB method and had great results so far. Tonight we all got in the pool and the water was really harsh on the eyes. :?

Here are my numbers:
pH = ~7.5
FC = 3.5 (added enough bleach to bring up to 5)
CC = 0 or 0.5 the water seemed a little "off" but not really pink. One drop didn't change it, so i think it was just user error
TA = 120
CH = 150
CYA = 30

Anyone have any ideas? I know low pH (below 7.2) or high CC can cause it but i have neither. I did notice tonight that when I swam underwater things seems a little more blurry than before, not really cloudy just hazier. We have had really hot weather here so I was worried about something starting, but I have been on top of the FC level and they have not dropped below 5 until tonight when I checked.

Thanks in advance for any ideas / help anyone can provide!

I am guessing you might have some CC that is not showing up in high enough quantities to show up on the test, but is enough to bother the eyes. I would do a OCLT tonight. I order to do this, I would raise the FC up to your shocking level as I find the test is more foolproof there and you will be started with the shocking process if you fail it.

Thanks Linen! I kinda started thinking the same thing so I added more chlorine than I originally planned when I posted. I will test again in a bit and get it up to 13 and do a OCLT test tonight. How scary is it that i am "excited" to have to do my first OCLT test.... LOL

Just an update, my pool is back to it's beautiful sparkly non-burning self and we have been enjoying it with the hot weather. Another tribute to the lessons learned on this site and how keeping on top of your pool chemistry can help keep things from getting out of control.

Thanks everyone!

Above-ground pools can have poor bottom circulation so combined with the hot weather the chlorine level might have gotten too low locally and had some algae grow. You nipped it in the bud by shocking. You might take a look at your return(s) to see how they are pointed and if you can get more of a swirling effect by pointing them slightly down and to one side. The downside to that is that you don't get quite as much skimming action.

chem geek said:
Above-ground pools can have poor bottom circulation so combined with the hot weather the chlorine level might have gotten too low locally and had some algae grow. You nipped it in the bud by shocking. You might take a look at your return(s) to see how they are pointed and if you can get more of a swirling effect by pointing them slightly down and to one side. The downside to that is that you don't get quite as much skimming action.

So true here this is what I did and can attest that skimming is not as good but with the detachable skimmer net and four kids that swim everyday it has now become a contest with them to take the nets and see which one can catch the most floating stuff and help daddy keep the pool squeaky clean :whoot:

BBB Knowledge + 4 kids + 4 Detachable Skimmer nets + swimming every night = The Cleanest Pool in the Neighborhood :party: :whoot:

Oh and time for :cheers:

Just think, if you were going to the pool store, you would not have had the ability to test and react. You would still be wondering what's wrong and hoping to get to the pool store before it closed... with a fresh sample of water.... and you would likely have a green pool based on the stuff they "suggested" instead of actually killing the algae with CL.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.