Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Absorbic acid treatment

1. Back To Top    #1

Absorbic acid treatment

I am planning to do a absorbic acid treatment to remove some stains from the pool. I just opened the pool yesterday and haven't added any shock to the pool as I usually do because I know I want the chlorine as close to 0 as I can. My question is that the pool is cloudy do I need to get the water clear in order to do the treatment? If so should I shock to get it clear and then let the chlorine go down?
    Inground Grecian 20,000 gallons vinyl liner
    Hayward 250 BTU Propane heater
    Hayward DE Filter
    1 HP Northstar Pump
    Spill Over Spa

2. Back To Top    #2
    It helps to be able to see the stains clearly to know if you need to add more ascorbic acid or not, but that is not required. Chlorine goes away fairly quickly except at very high CYA levels. As long as your CYA levels aren't too high it is probably a good idea to clear the pool now.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks

I will get the water clear now and then do the treatment. I plan on adding polyquat algaecide and that usually lowers my chlorine a good amount, so if I add extra to compensate for low chlorine it will lower it even more.
    Inground Grecian 20,000 gallons vinyl liner
    Hayward 250 BTU Propane heater
    Hayward DE Filter
    1 HP Northstar Pump
    Spill Over Spa