how much baking soda should i add to raise TA in 2100 gallon

Jun 2, 2012
I have an intex 12'x31" pool overfilled so just estimating to be about 2100 gallons. I originally bought the drop test kit for chlorine and pH measurement and had some issues keeping pH up so I bought a 6 test strip test kit from walmart(I understand there are better kits but this pool is just for children under 6 to cool down in and splash around so I don't want to spend too much money on it). I've found that my TA has always been low affecting my pH so I read in pool school to add baking soda. Any suggestions on how much I should add? My 6 strip only tells me its low.

Re: how much baking soda should i add to raise TA in 2100 ga

Try adding a cup of baking soda, give it an hour or two to mix in with the pump running, and then test again. You might need to do that two or more times, depending on just how low TA is right now.

This would of course be much simpler with a real test kit. WalMart sells a 6 way drop kit that is very affordable and way better than what you have now.

Re: how much baking soda should i add to raise TA in 2100 ga

JasonLion said:
Try adding a cup of baking soda, give it an hour or two to mix in with the pump running, and then test again. You might need to do that two or more times, depending on just how low TA is right now.

This would of course be much simpler with a real test kit. WalMart sells a 6 way drop kit that is very affordable and way better than what you have now.

thank you very much!! i was expecting a reply with something along the lines of "we need to know the exact chemicals and how much has been added and blah blah blah". I was just looking for a very general answer because I know it's best to be every specific to keep the water perfect. I dont want to spend too much money on it because it will probably get trashed by the end of the summer with so many toddlers going in and out so I just needed something for them to splash in with this heat. I'll try a cup at a time, thanks again!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.