New to sand filter - tried everything I know

Jun 15, 2010
My skimmer doesn't seem to be pulling in with much strength. There is flow back into the pool so I know it's working some, but not like I've seen it capable of doing.
When I switch the lever to recirculate it pulls really strong.
I've checked all the hoses, burped the air out, backwashed the sand and rinsed to level.
note* when I backwashed the sand the water wasn't dirty

Not sure what else to do...

Ok I ran the backwash for 3 whole minutes.
Then I ran the rinse cycle for 1 minute.

It doesn't seem much different - maybe a little. When the pump is on recirculate mode it sucks the water in through the skimmer forcefully and pulls the skimmer basket down. When I run it on filter mode it's just a little eddy around the skimmer- although there is strong flow from the outlet that returns the water to the pool.

Any ideas?

Also - need to ask:
Do u cover the drain cap for the rinse cycle or leave it off until filter mode?

I also noticed that the backwash mode didn't gush water like usual this time. The rinse mode did - but the backwash mode just poured out. Is that bad?

Hmmm, well there is no clue there. It sounds like the resistance within the filter is high (normally, that means it's doing it's job, catching dirt) but, in your case, there seems to be no dirt.

Have you ever taken the top off the filter to look inside and see what it looks like? should be a fairly clean layer of loose sand (there actually may be quite a bit of junk on top of the sand bed that you can clean out but I don't think that's enough to account for the symptoms you describe)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I opened the top of the filter while my brother was here setting it up for me and it caused quite a commotion. Evidently my attempt at helping dislodged that pole in the center of the sand and he wasn't sure how he was gonna get it back in there correctly without having to empty it. They must've figured out something - I didn't stick around to find out after that! ha!
(needless to say I'm a little leery of opening that thing!) *yikes*

We had a similar situation a little while ago on here. That wound up being the laterals were clogged and wouldn't backwash clean. It wasn't the same filter but it could be a problem. Yours has a disc instead of laterals, but the operation is the same. I'd inspect the disc real close to see if the slits are clogged.

Got it working. I think the in and out hoses may have been switched. Either way it's going strong now.

Other end of the spectrum tho - now the psi is in the yellow zone even tho I've backwashed and rinsed 3 times. It's just barely tho - so maybe it's ok??

lol ok! ok! ;)
it says it's under 10 - couldn't find in the manual where it says what the normal range is - just says if it's in the yellow to backwash - only so many times you can do that! lol

thanks guys!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.