Hello from NY- newbie with a bunch of questions

Meth

Jun 24, 2012
Hi everyone, I am in the process of researching an in ground pool and came across this amazing site. I am 43 years old, married with a 14 year old daughter and 11 year old son. We are finally considering a pool, mainly because we want our house to be the one our kids and there friends want to hang out at. I have looked at steel wall, concrete and fiberglass. Everything that I have read seems to push me towards fiberglass. Unfortunately there aren't many installers in this area who do fiberglass so my choices are limited. We live in orange county ny.

What has been shocking to us is the cost. I think we could fit roughly a 15x40 pool in our space and the quotes we have received are in the 30-40k range. One dealer is for leisure pools and the other is for composite pools. There is a Viking dealer nearby however they only wanted to sell us a concrete pool and didn't speak favorably of the fiberglass option. The steel wall pool quote was considerably less, around 25k. That is pretty much our budget. What kind of feedback can you guys give, is it possible to get a fiberglass pool installed for 25k? Any recommendations on installers or dealers in this area? Can a family of 4 be comfortable in a smaller pool? If so how much does that reduce the cost? Sorry for so many questions but we are really trying to research this and make it happen for our children.

The last issue that we have is the portion of the yard where this will be installed has a slope to it and will probably require a retaining wall so that will increase cost as well. Lastly, what about financing, how do most of you finance these projects? Home equity, pool loan, construction loan?

Looking forward to great feedback from this amazing forum.

Large chunks of the cost are fixed, so even though some of the price varies with size, there is a large base amount that doesn't change. That makes larger pools fairly attractive (up to a point).

Those prices sound fairly reasonable. Steel wall, vinyl liner, pools are always less expensive. Fiberglass also has a large shipping cost, which grows rapidly the further you are from a factory that makes them. One of the neat things about fiberglass pools is that they go in very quickly. Plaster tends to be the most expensive and also requires the most attention to water balance.