Pool pump problems/ questions

Jun 24, 2012
New to TFP. Great forum! I have a Whisper Fow WF-24, 1HP pump that started to give me problems this season. It is 6 years old and I noticed corrosion at the motor attachement that has lead to the seal plate to motor connection to loosen and cause the impeller to rub on the seal plate and leak. I could only start the motor if I spun the shaft and it has progressed to not turning on at all. I checked the capacitor at first which was ok and tore the pump apart to see the seal plate and impellar problems.
I replaced the seal plate, impellar, and all gaskets. I also replace the motor with a more effecient( higher SF and start and run capitor ) OA smith motor. Everything went back together great, but now the new motor feel hot and thermal overloads after running 24 hrs. The motor is quite and there is good water pressure. I have double checked the volts to the motor, impelar size, and the impellar spins fine.
What is the cause of the thermal overload? How do I fix. Is it a bad motor?
I also, after having pump problems, have installed a intellamatic timer and want to know if I need to hook the timer to both the motor and Intellichlor. I have it only hook to motor now the the intellichlor is on when the pump is not.
Thanks in advance.
Randy

Whisper Flow WF-24 1HP
Intellichlor-40
Triton II sand filter
30,000 gal vinyl pool
new AO Smith 1HP motor

Is it even remotely possible that you have 240 volt power and a 120 volt motor? That would give the symptoms you describe.

It is important that the IntelliChlor be turned off when the pump is off, most easily done by wiring it to the timer.

It is a 220 motor. There was a sticker that cationed that it was set for 220 and I doublle checked the 115/230 switch located near the electrical hookup. Thanks, I will hook up my intellichlor to the timer.
Randy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.