What's the consensus on Intellichlor IC40 cells?

peterl1365

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
Murrieta, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I'm considering purchasing a new IC40, and I'm wondering if Pentair has resolved the problems with their older models. I see that Pentair now has a 3.1 firmware in their latest models. My last unit was a 1.9R. I'm wondering if the 2.x and 3.x models are considered to be more reliable than the 1.9 and earlier. I see a lot of posts with IC40 problems that are very similar to what I went through, but I don't see anything that discusses the differences between the different versions.

For reference, here is a history of the problems I've had (details in threads below):

My first cell lasted about 18 months (two season). It was replaced under warranty, but the replacement only lasted about 18 months as well (one season). I gave up and switched to liquid chlorine and tabs, which has worked just fine. I used liquid only for about 9 months, and have been using mostly tablets for the last 14 months. I have not had any problems with the pool during this time.

My CYA is now in the 80-100 range, so I know that I need to do a partial drain and fill to bring it back down, but this wouldn't be necessary if I put in a new cell.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/intellichlor-ic40-died-should-i-convert-to-chlorine-tabs-t30631.html

http://www.troublefreepool.com/having-problems-with-my-ic40-cell-again-t23137.html

http://www.troublefreepool.com/problem-with-my-ic40-easytouch-4-setup-t9849.html

JasonLion said:
Pentair has some surprisingly common problems a couple of years ago that are now resolved. However, no SWG is perfect and all of the brands, including Pentair, will always have problems occasionally.

Thanks Jason. I understand that there's always some type of failure rate, but the problems with the 1.x units seemed quite excessive. I suspected that there might be some type of quality issue last year, so that's why I put off buying a new unit. Do you think that the newest units are now considered reliable enough to actually get near their 8000 hour rating?

I'd appreciate it if anyone with 2.x and 3.x units would chime in here.

Not sure the firmware on mine (IC40) but assuming its the latest as it was manufactured in 4/12. Obviously have not had it very long but I can say that I have had exactly zero issues with it since the first time it was switched on. I run it and my pump on the same switch 24/7 with the IC40 at 20% (wish I could go a little lower as my FC stays around 7ppm with a CYA of 35-40). I hope I get 5 seasons out of it but for time and effort savings with my pool its work the ~$500 for a new cell every 3yrs to me. I went into it not planning on a SWCG being any kind of a money savings and I am pleased with the ease of pool maint. I test my water every few days and everything seems to just stay right where it needs to be.

Not sure the date of mfr of my IC40, but it's been in my pool since August 2010 and to-date, I've had no issues with the SWG generating chlorine and functioning properly during the season. It's on it's 2nd season. I'm very happy with it and will probably replace it some day with the same.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.