Skimmer leaks ... What's the trick?

EH

Jun 7, 2012
Hello All,

I just replaced my entire 18' ABG and I have attached the new wide mouth skimmer according to very sparse instructions.  Unfortunately i keep getting very slow drips from beneath the skimmer.  (Why they do not make the skimmer curved to follow the contour of the pool astounds me).  

Anyway,  the gasket is the serpentine double sided type that straddles the wall.  I tried tightening the corners first then the remaining screws.  I tightened as much as i could without overdoing it (and even backed off on some screws which helped in limited cases).  Like i said i am down to slow drips but nothing seems to get the perfect seal.

Is there anything i can use to coat the gasket/liner/screws/etc that will holdup long term?  Or is there some trick to getting a perfect seal.

Thanks.

Actually, i did not put the gasket over the liner... Rather, I put the gasket on according to these directions:
http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/how_ ... mmer_.aspx

Which says:
"The Wall Gasket is double layered with a slot on the outside edge. Place the gasket around the Skimmer hole so that one layer is on the inside Wall (between the Wall and the Liner) and the other layer is on the outside of the Wall."

(The instructions that came with the skimmer were useless, with no clarity on gasket placement whatsoever. Literally one page with an explosion diagram and no demarcation of the pool wall whatsoever).

I assumed the above instructions were correct since this is a new liner and generally the liner is cut as the last step, which would not be possible if the gasket went over the liner. Granted my pool is not from that site but i assumed the instructions were still valid since skimmers are often added/sold as a seaparate item.

Are you saying the instructions above are incorrect? (Not arguing, just curious.)

Also I consider the caulking idea when the leaks started, but i figured (if my shower is any indication) that the caulk would not last very long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.