Skimmer Pump Weir Problem

Jun 22, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Recently purchased a Summer Escapes 16' x 48" ProSeries Metal-Frame Above-Ground Pool. 3 Days to level the gound, set up the pool and all sides are level. Pool is now filled but water is off about 1" on the side directly accross from the skimmer. Plugged pump in and this is where the problem starts...the Skimmer/Filer Pump System is mounted to the side of the pool through the precut opening and the skimmer weir/door is not opening and closing properly so the pump is sucking in more air than water which you can see as it comes through the return. If you slowely open the weir/door and allow the water to fill in everything works perfect. I feel this may be caused by the other side of the pool being off level by an 1", could this be the problem, or could maybe the gasket and frame been tighten down too much? Any easy fixes other than draining 18K + gallons of water to re-level? :?

The problem is not the fit of the skimmer to the precut hole, the issue is the Weir door will not open and close properly allowing enough water to flow into the skimmer to run properly. I have tried just removing the Weir door but that allows too much water and it ends up spilling out the top of the skimmer.

kdpavlik said:
I have tried just removing the Weir door but that allows too much water and it ends up spilling out the top of the skimmer.

That should not be possible. The water level should be in the middle of the skimmer opening ... so it should not be possible for water to "spill out".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.