Pump Oversized / Filter Undersized?

Jun 21, 2012
I had my pool running for about five years, but took two seasons off because I was going through economic problems and couldn't afford a new liner at the time. I now put in the new liner, and had to replace the pump. Ended up getting a great deal on a Pentair Dynamo 2hp pump. NOW, the filter is dead too from hidden cracks. I just ordered a Hayward C1200 120sq. ft. cartridge filter. Is the pump going to be too much for it, is the filter not enough for it, or will I be okay? For reference, it is a 24' round above ground pool.

Thank you

Welcome to TFP!

The pump needs to be sized to the pool, and the filter needs to be able to handle the pump output easily. Do you have a spa or water features? How big is the pool?

Wow, you are for sure oversized on the pump. It would be to your benefit to go with a 1HP impeller on your pump if you can get one. It will save you on your electric bill and is suitably sized for your filter.

Our recommendation for ~13500 gallon pool would be ~ 200 sq. ft. minimum cartridge filter, so yours is a bit small...just means you will have to clean it more often.

I am having a hard time finding a curve on you pump, but looking at the 1.5 hp version and making some guesses, it looks like it should work with your filter (filter speced design flow rate f >80 gpm), but smaller would still be better in this case.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.