Hydro Tools Skimmer & Intex Pool

Jul 5, 2011
Seneca, IL
I didn't want to add this to my thread going on, as I am quite befuddled at the moment & not sure if everyone is following it who may be able to answer. The pool is filling, but nowhere near halfway, so I figured I had some time.

I purchased the Hydro Tools skimmer to put into my 18x48 Intex Ultra Frame.
I've bookmarked & read all of the threads about installing a skimmer, but my question(s) is this...

At this moment, doing the PVC isn't an option. Like I said, this is just for now. It will come, but the hardware store that is a minute away from our house doesn't have everything that we would need and to make a 45 min trip to Menards & then back home isn't in the picture right now either. So, has anyone installed the skimmer and only used the supplied hoses that came with the pool? I saw one picture and they used what looked like a hose clamp.

The other hose is going to go to the Intex 2650 and then to the SWG, then the return back to the pool. I have to use the return that came with the pool because the one that Hydro Tools included is too small & I don't like the fact that the eyeball jet moves around so freely & doesn't stay in place. So with using the stock pool return jet / eyeball (whatever it is), should I still use the plunger then with it?

We will be fine to install the PVC stuff later, but while it was filling, we wanted to do the skimmer and then be done with it for the moment, instead of having to go back, drain a little to install, etc.

Thanks everyone! You guys are fantastic!

You sure can do the pvc later. Using hose clamps for now with the corrugated pipes will work, many people use that approach permanently. The main reason for pvc over those corrugated pipes are head loss and reliability of the pipe (they are notorious for spouting leaks). I would get up and running for now, then plan your pvc.

Awesome! Thanks Linen. I ended up placing the plunger from the pool and have it in the closed position for now. Tried putting the hose over the area and no water came out! WOO HOO! That's the temporary fix for now until we can run & get the rest of the PVC stuff.

Big_kid said:
If it was my picture, the hoses came with the filter/pump, the grey rubber adapter came from Home Depot, and yes, those are standard worm screw type clamps.

I think it may have been, but I am not sure off hand. The one I purchased didn't come with any hoses, so luckily between the SWG, the old pump we had, the sand filter pump, and the new pool, I had plenty of hoses available. However, the sand filter and/or the SWG came with these adapters that allowed the pump to be used with the smaller sized Intex pools, so I screwed on the hose adapter to the skimmer, popped on that adapter, and was able to attach the hose flawlessly to the skimmer. No leaks, no nothing.

That was a great treat given everything else today that went wrong with the pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.