I have my results from my K-2006 kit

doublewide6 said:
Ph is 7.2 and I am currently aerating to bring it up
FC is 9.5
CC is 0
Adding more bleach to stay at shock level.
Why not leave it there and let it rise on it's own. Aerating will cool the pool water down. It's too early in the season for us Pennsylvania boys to be cooling the water. :lol: When your PH rises to 7.8, just knock it back down to 7.2 and let it rise on it's own again. This will lower your TA eventually. Your TA is not high.

People who use aeration in order to lower high TA do so because it's quickens that natural process of PH drifting upwards. They tire of adding acid multiple times a week and want to quickly reach a point where the frequency slows down. Get to know your pools personality. It just might like a TA of 120.

Should the pump run all night for the OCLT?
Not necessary but it should be on about 30-60 minutes before you test in the morning.

That you lost 3ppm between 4-8PM (In other words, almost a full days worth of FC), I doubt you will pass the OCLT. Not being mean but just telling you what I suspect from experience.

It's a couple days later the water looks great but I am still not holding FC. I tried OCLT last night started at 11.5 and in the morning had 9.5 FC. Shocked all day today had the FC up to 16 for most the day then it dropped down to 11. I am getting frustrated. I'm going to try the OCLT again and see if there is any difference. The water looks sparkling clear, as nice as it has ever looked. All my levels are in check except CYA I'm adding more now, but waiting a week to check it. I think it is around 20ish. Any suggestions on how to get the FC to hold. I have been using the target of 16 today to try to get a hold of the situation. Tomorrow will make a week. How much FC should a pool in full sun lose per day?

One reason you could be losing FC is a lower CYA level. The other reason, is there could be biologics in the pool consuming it. Keep shocking, the chlorine consumption will fall as the CYA rises, and the live stuff dies. It will get better. My first 2 weeks were a plastic jug nightmare. Now I have too much in stock, I'm just not consuming the stuff.

linen said:
doublewide6 said:
How much FC should a pool in full sun lose per day?
Somewhere from 40-60% is typical when getting full sun for most of the day.

Until you pass the OCLT, you need to keep the FC level at or slightly above your shock level.

Linen,
If my pool is at shock level 14FC and I am in full sun I should expect to lose half of my FC? So be around 7FC? Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for getting back so quick,
CYA is about 20ish I am in the process of adding CYA the sock is in the skimmer. By next week I should be close to 30CYA because I added what the bottle said to add to bring the pool up to the correct amount 30-50ppm.
I passed the OCLT last night FC dropped 1ppm. O CC and the water is clear. Today in the morning 8:30 My FC was about 13ppm now it is about 10ppm. I am in full sun it was not the hottest or brightest day, but it is pretty nice, we were in the pool. I'm thinking the lower CYA is not helping my situation.

At 20 ppm cya and pretty good sun on your pool, I does not surprise me that you have lost that much today. Sounds like you passed all three shocking criteria and can let you FC drop to normal range. I would start getting more cya in there, but be careful easy add, drain/refill to remove. 50 ppm will probably work well.

Congrats on the clear water in your pool, and passing the OCLT. There is nothing quite like that feeling, when you know you can fix your other problems....like your low CYA, and not have to test the FC levels every 4 hours. My TFP has been almost 0 chemical maint. since I finished shocking. I add bleach to chlorinate, acid every 2-3 weeks to knock down the pH, vacuum, and clean filters. Although, I haven't even had to clean filters for 3 weeks, because there is no garbage for them to filter out. Happy swimming up there in PA!!!

Thanks Tim.
The pool is looking great! So I'm curious about how much Bleach should I be adding a day for a 20000 gallon pool in full sun? Obviously, I will be doing the testing with my kit but on average if everything is balanced should it be about 3/4 a gallon a day?
I'm starting to research about the liquidators and pumps possibly for next season and wondering what size to get for my application. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.