sand filter question

chuard

May 17, 2012
Hello,
I currently have a Hayward pro series sand filter. Model number S244T. It says on the label that the GPM filtration rate is 20. I have a 35,000 gallon pool and according to my calculations if I ran my filter 24/7 my GPM would be approx 25. Which is do run it 24/7 mainly because I'm trying to get in clear. So my question is: Is this pump not really filtering my pool effectively or too small of a filter than what I actually need?

You appear to be reading the specs incorrectly. The Hayward S244T has a design flow rate of 62 GPM, which is 20 GPM/sqft. Even so, that filter is too small for that pool. You can get away with it, but it really isn't recommended, will need to be cleaned frequently, and is likely to become channeled.

ok so my next question is what should I buy or how big? Honestly I will not buy one this year, it will have to be next year becauase I can't financially do it this year. Here are some answers to questions you may ask. The pool is L shapped, and has 1 skimmer, and 2 jets. Also has 2 main drains. Not real sure on the pump size. I can look when I get back home though. My pool is clearing up, very slowly. I have been keeping it at shock level for a couple weeks beacuse I had some algae in it. Might be why it's taking so long to clear up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.