Sailinshuz - Advice Needed ...

linen said:
Make sure you follow the pool school article on the DE, you typically do not need a lot and it will raise your pressure fast.
Thanks linen! You are very correct on this point ... Ran the pool all night and expected it to be much clearer this morning, but it wasn't. It is looking better, but it is still milky looking.

We are using Zeolite as a replacement for sand in our filter, and I am thinking of changing it out, even though the media is not supposed to wear out.

Will check the FC chlorine level and Shock at lunch, if required. Thanks for all the support, my friends. :goodjob:
[attachment=0:3jh5p5nw]photo (3).JPG[/attachment:3jh5p5nw]

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 132
Sailinshuz said:
Will check the FC chlorine level and Shock at lunch, if required.
Just checking here, remember you are doing a process of shocking the pool, you do not add "shock", you add chlorine. As much as possible, keep your FC level at your shock level (or slightly above if you have to go long periods between). You are not done holding the FC at your shock level until you pass all three criteria (see the red in my sig).

linen said:
Sailinshuz said:
Will check the FC chlorine level and Shock at lunch, if required.
Just checking here, remember you are doing a process of shocking the pool, you do not add "shock", you add chlorine. As much as possible, keep your FC level at your shock level (or slightly above if you have to go long periods between). You are not done holding the FC at your shock level until you pass all three criteria (see the red in my sig).
Thanks ! I understand the criteria.

Can you give me a not to exceed FC value, slightly above "FC at shock level". I will have to go above the recommended CYA to Chlorine - Shock Level, as I cannot be at the pool to monitor it, while I am at work.

And finally, with respect to chlorine dosing ...

how much chlorine is TOO much chlorine to add to my vinyl liner pool with each cal-hypo application in maintaining shock level?

A reasonable maximum FC level would be mustard shock level according to poolcalculator for your CYA.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

jblizzle said:
A reasonable maximum FC level would be mustard shock level according to poolcalculator for your CYA.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)
Not a problem on being to the point! Thank you for taking the time to reply! I will look up that value on the chart.

I bought the Tapatalk app but haven't used it yet. What do you think of it ?

Sailinshuz said:
linen said:
We are using Zeolite as a replacement for sand in our filter, and I am thinking of changing it out, even though the media is not supposed to wear out.
Is this the first year with Zeolite? Some folks have had problems with cloudy water from not back flushing long enough with a fresh install of Zeolite. How's the OCLT situation?

yeggim said:
Sailinshuz said:
linen said:
Is this the first year with Zeolite? Some folks have had problems with cloudy water from not back flushing long enough with a fresh install of Zeolite. How's the OCLT situation?
Actually, we've used Zeolite for several years. It's not the first year with this batch of Zeolite in the filter. I have new Zeolite ready to go into my filter after I get the water cleared up and my SWG running again.

The OCLT was decent 2 days ago, but took a nose dive last night. I bought another 12 pounds of Calcium-Hypo today. Current CH reading is 100. I am going to raise the Shock Chlorine level to 34ppm tonight after the sun goes down, get up early, and test before direct sunlight.

I'm ready for BBQ, poolside, with Dad, Kids and Best Friends! :party: :whip:

I wouldn't go that high for long... high FC level has a slight potential to damage your liner (although low ph is worse), and the longer your there the more damage possible. If you going to overshoot just do enough to get you by until you can get back to the pool, and if you drop a little below you normal shocking level that is okay.

linen said:
I wouldn't go that high for long... high FC level has a slight potential to damage your liner (although low ph is worse), and the longer your there the more damage possible. If you going to overshoot just do enough to get you by until you can get back to the pool, and if you drop a little below you normal shocking level that is okay.

If the FC level holds til tomorrow evening, I will drop it then. It should kill everything left in the pool, I'd hope. I am planning a major back wash to get the DE out of my Zeolite, and I will refill with fresh water back to normal level. If the water is still cloudy tomorrow with no OCL & CC=0, which should I do? Another DE treatment, flocculant, or replace my existing Zeolite with new Zeolite? Or what's left? Anything?

Thank you, linen!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sailinshuz said:
If the FC level holds til tomorrow evening, I will drop it then. It should kill everything left in the pool, I'd hope. I am planning a major back wash to get the DE out of my Zeolite, and I will refill with fresh water back to normal level. If the water is still cloudy tomorrow with no OCL & CC=0, which should I do? Another DE treatment, flocculant, or replace my existing Zeolite with new Zeolite? Or what's left? Anything?

Thank you, linen!
Once you pass the OCLT, it's up to your filter to clear the water. As long as you see the filter pressure rising, you are trapping particulates. If you don't pass the OCLT, it's time to look for places where algae can hide. Any lights should be pulled and the niches scrubbed and vacuumed etc.

You could clean your Zeolite in a 10% salt solution. Drain the filter and put the drain cap back on. Mix 0.8 pounds of salt for every 1 gallon of water. Open the filter and make enough 10% solution to cover the Zeolite. Let it sit for 2 or 3 hours and reassemble. Give it a nice long backwash and nice long rinse then continue filtering.

You started out with a swamp. It's only been what?--5 or 6 days using the proper test kit? Flocculant is a pain, especially in a large pool. It's like trying to sneak up on your shadow while being tasered. Plus you have to vacuum to waste and with your size pool, that's a lot of water. Again, as long as your filter pressure is rising, it's a good indication that your catching what's suspended in the water. You should see a steady increase in clarity with every back wash.

yeggim said:
Sailinshuz said:

Thank you, linen!
Once you pass the OCLT, it's up to your filter to clear the water. As long as you see the filter pressure rising, you are trapping particulates. If you don't pass the OCLT, it's time to look for places where algae can hide. Any lights should be pulled and the niches scrubbed and vacuumed etc.

You could clean your Zeolite in a 10% salt solution. Drain the filter and put the drain cap back on. Mix 0.8 pounds of salt for every 1 gallon of water. Open the filter and make enough 10% solution to cover the Zeolite. Let it sit for 2 or 3 hours and reassemble. Give it a nice long backwash and nice long rinse then continue filtering.

You started out with a swamp. It's only been what?--5 or 6 days using the proper test kit? Flocculant is a pain, especially in a large pool. It's like trying to sneak up on your shadow while being tasered. Plus you have to vacuum to waste and with your size pool, that's a lot of water. Again, as long as your filter pressure is rising, it's a good indication that your catching what's suspended in the water. You should see a steady increase in clarity with every back wash.

Praise the Pool Gods. CC=0, Passed the OCLT, and the pool is clearing slowly with filtration. I agree on the flocking points, but sometimes it's a sure cure. We started with a swamp about 2-1/2 - 3 weeks ago and bought some tools (a test kit) 5-6 days ago. Understanding the chemical relationships and being able to test what's needed, at the required levels, was really the key.

Until this weekend, a major back-washing, another DE filter aid treatment, and 24/7 filtering will have to suffice. I don't have time, now, to address the filter media. If I have to break down the plumbing, I might as well replace the media instead of cleaning it. I have a fresh 150 pounds of zeolite ready to go into the filter.

Soooooo, do you think it's safe to drop back to the non-shock FC level for my CYA?

The latest readings I have are:

FC=24
CC=0.5
pH=7.8
T/A=120
CYA=55-60

Water is clearing up slowly. I have brushed everything until my arms are falling off! Pool is blue, but I still can't see bottom drain. Shallow end is clear. Tested my T-15 cell at the pool store, and it is good. This weekend, I am going to:

1-change the zeolite filter media, and backwash the heck out of the filter to remove the dust
2-install the T-15 cell
3-apply Magic Lube to all my gaskets
4-add 24.5 - 40# bags of salt and crank up the SWG,
5- monitor the chemical levels and adjust according to the 3 magic criteria
6- and continue filtering until clear.

I have vacation for a week during the week of the 4th and hand surgery the following week. I think my water is stabilized enough to move toward a SWG pool.

Any comments are welcome. I would like to validate the effectiveness of participating in this forum to educate myself, manage my pool with the principles and tools set forth herein, and give a big "HECK YEAH" to the efforts of the team I have had behind me. This forum is "The Real Deal". I could open a pool service with the support of the information provided for free, here at TFP, and have been advertising the quality of this site. I love my new test kit (TF-100), and I attribute all of my success in solving my pool crisis, this year, to having a great test kit and the support of the fine folks, here, at TFP Forum. There is no substitute for being informed.

I am on my way to having my pool area back in business, the kids in the pool again, and the ability to enjoy friends and family at the pool, again! Thanks TFP!

Please let me know if you think my plan is within reason.

Best Regards,
Dave :wave:

I take it that you've decided against using floc? If not you'll waste salt if it's added before floccing. I thought Zeolite was good for at least 8 years. How old is the stuff you have in your filter now?

Anyways, it seems you have your work cut out for you. Good luck and be sure to give us some pics of that pool when it clears. Should be any day now. Fingers crossed and positive thoughts coming your way.

I wouldn't worry about anything until you are done with the shocking process and have passed all three criteria.

By the way, what is your salt level? Salt doesn't leave pools, so if you had it in there before you will still have some in there now and your 24 bags will raise your salt level too high.

MAJOR Announcement: We are cooking with GAS! Pool is clear, Salt system installed and working, and Life is good ...
[attachment=1:2awl0ucz]photo (3).JPG[/attachment:2awl0ucz]
[attachment=0:2awl0ucz]photo (4).JPG[/attachment:2awl0ucz]

Thanks TFP.com !!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    148 KB · Views: 19
  • photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 19

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.