Distance of pool from pump/equipment.

SkidRowe

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 27, 2011
Zebulon, NC
Hi All,
I am planning a new pool install and I am a first time pool owner, so forgive me if this sounds like basic questions. We are trying to determine the location of the pool and equipment and I want to get yall’s opinion. I have a dual gang (4 plug) 120 GFI plug that is attached to the house; the only thing that is running off of this is the exterior plugs. I am planning on plugging the Pump (dual speed 1hp), SWG, and Propane heater directly to this and that will need to be close the house, due to plug length.

The pool (18x40 AG) will be about 20 feet from the house and the pump and all equipment will be 15 – 20 feet from the pool. The initial install will not be hard plumbed but I will plan on doing that shortly after the pool is installed. I don’t have the pool installed as of yet so I am trying to get the site plan determined.

Does anyone see any issue/suggestions?

Bama Rambler said:
15 to 20' isn't a concern at all. Even 50' isn't much of a concern. Hard piping it will make a difference in that length. I'd go ahead and do that as I was installing the pool.

Not to hijack the thread but what if the equipment sits above the level of the pool? I'm thinking of having the pump and filter in the garage which would sit above the grade of the pool. I'd be about 30 ft away and about 6 ft above the top of the pool.

Thanks and sorry for butting in :oops:

If it is sitting above the grade of the pool you will need an in ground pool style pump, many above ground pool pumps can not self prime and count on water flow from the pool to prime. Any in ground pool pump should work if your pump location is not more than 3-4 ft above the water level in the pool, higher than that may require some special consideration.

Ike

Tick -- That depends on the pump. Some aboveground pumps (my Dynamo for example) can lift water up to 8' above the waterline. Some can't. If your's can, then moving it 30' away and 6' up won't be much of a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.