GotOneRunning

New homeowner that came with pool.(Previous owners did not open it since 09. Short sale home) So far, it's been a nightmare. I had a company come in 3 times now and they seem to do the same thing. Throw some shock and chlorine tabs and call it a day. They refuse to vacuum the bottom of my pool, because the debris is too thick and they are scared to drain too much water on waste since it's a vinyl pool. Any suggestions about vacuum techniques on vinyl pools? The water is green and cloudy right now.

Sounds like the exact story with our house. This I do know - The old home owners were dumping the lawn clippings in prior to losing the house on top of not opening it for two years.
I spent about two hours every day when I got home from work for two weeks to get all the debris out of the bottom. The pool was green & I was doing it blindly, so I brushed everything to one side, then scooped it up with a deep net. The guys you talked to were right. Don't drain the pool down & I wouldn't run the pump until most of the debris is out.

You should get a water sample & take it to your local pool store for a good reading once you get that junk out. If your pool is that green, with leaves & stuff, then shock isn't going to do too much. The algae will eat that chlorine right up.

Welcome to tfp, Gotonerunning :wave:

Definitely get the leaf net out and get as much of that organic material out that you can. It will take a lot of work, but will be worth it. Let us know if you have questions.