Rough pool bottom

Murphy

Jul 26, 2011
Hello,

I've got a fiberglass pool that I've had for about 6 years. The pool bottom is supposed to be smooth. After opening this year I have noticed some areas in the deep end that feel rough, dry, or callus like a pumice stone. There is not an elevation change in the surface as one would expect with something built up on the surface. I seem to recall having a few small spots of roughness last year that scrubbed away and I thought was just crud that built up over the winter.

I've also found an area that is bumpy or pimpled as if someone had scattered coarse sand that stuck in place.

Is this scale build up? What can I try to remove this? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Current chemistry

FC 4
PH 7.3
TA 110
CH 200
CYA 30

I put a chlorine puck in a sock and let sit on some areas for a while and this did not seem to work. I had also been given a suggestion to do the same with some PH powder, which I did, and this did not seem to work either. I used PH up, should I have tried PH reducer?

It does seem that maybe the areas don't feel so rough anymore, but this is difficult to determine for sure considering it's on the pool bottom at the deep end.

I read a post where someone had what seemed to be a similar issue, and the suggestion was to lower the PH to around 7. http://www.troublefreepool.com/white-clouds-come-from-the-bottom-and-sides-when-i-brush-t10447.html 4th post from the bottom.

Should I try this with continued brushing? I'm at a loss for what to try next with these rough spots.

Current chems
FC 2
CYA 25
PH 7.4
TA 110
CH 180

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.