SWCG and Rust

aeromorris05

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 16, 2011
Murfreesboro, TN
We've had our pool up and running for about 2months and I'm beginning to see signs of rust on my Hayward skimmer mouth screws as well as on the pool ladder where the treads attach to the verticle rods. I'm wondering 2 things: Is this normal? Do pool hardware companies design separate freshwater and saltwater kits? If so, I'm wondering if I got a freshwater version by mistake. The pipes on the ladder look like stainless steel but marine grade stainless shouldn't rust and definitely not in 2months. Most of the oxidation is occuring near the waterline. Screws below the water's surface look a bit better. Pool balance has been spot on the entire time. PH between 7.4 - 7.8, FC at 5.5.

I have screws rust out on outdoor stuff fairly often. Apparently, the manufacturer (I've had it happen on pool-unrelated items) just doesn't have enough quality control to provide the correct screws or perhaps when they cut the threads, the screw removes the rust proof material....I don't know.

I shrug my shoulders and go to Ace or HD and get Stainless steel screws and replace them all.....it's a real PITA

I'll look up the Hayward part numbers for the screws later tonight. It shouldn't be too difficult to find some suitable SS replacements. A quick search returned these in 316 marine grade stainless @ $0.15 each.
FLAT316MACHTHUMB.JPG

Thanks for the advice guys. I just wanted to make sure the rusting wasn't an indicator of something I was doing wrong. It's a shame that this problem could've been avoided from the factory for less that $1.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.