IG pool light and electrical wiring fault?

I bought Moreno Valley house from bank who owned house for at least a year since after foreclosure. Pool will be demolished and rebuilt with a bigger size, deeper and major landscaping work around it. As for now, I am trying to get the pool light to work for the summer.

I installed brand new GFCI and it worked as intended. Tripping out when test button is pressed. Using the voltage detection tool, it detects live current flowing inside wires inside subpanel and switches to the pool light. In Junction box for the main pool light has no current or power. I wonder what/where that could be?

Couldn't find another junction box for spa light.

How does the switch operates? I took the cover out and had noticed two small dials that are adjustable with a screwdriver. What are these? please school me on this and everything to get the light to work.

Any help or thoughts on this? I am thinking of removing the switch and putting two wires together, bypassing switch for testing and see if the pool light works. Below I took some pictures of what I have.

0gm1ud

70uq1o

kvqa2g

dkuiby

8c72qv

:wave: Welcome :wave:

That little black box near the ground will should have 1 conduit going to the pool light and 1 conduit going to the switch (which appears to be at your panel).

The power should flow like this: from breaker to GFCI Line side, from GFCI Load side to switch, from switch to black box, from black box to pool light.

I would also think there should be a 2nd black box for your spa light if it is on a separate switch.

If you have confirmed power entering the switch, but do not have power at the black box, then either the switch is bad (I have never seen that type of switch before) or the line is cut somewhere between the switch and the black box.

I know of those switches,
Home Automation ("Professional" Brand) and X-10 ("Home" Brand) both make these.
The two dials are channel selection, (normally A-F on one and 1-16 on the other)
The intended purpose is allowing remote switching by sending the signal through the power wires. While still allowing you to use the switch normally.

They are junk, brown-outs cause them to get stuck on channel A1, power serge's make them temperamental.

Remove all of them.
I also suggest replacing the cover on your faceless GFCI to keep the water out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.