Thanks to my wife, we need a new pump..........

The pool is 18' X 54" deep with a Hayward power flo lx 1.5hp with a hayward cartridge sw110mpaks filter. I need a new pump and I'm thinking I do not need 1.5hp, but don't know for sure. Also I can buy a Hayward 18" sand filter really cheap from a friend, model S180T. I'm thinking a 1hp hayward Matrix pump or a dynamo. Would I be O.K. with a 1hp pump? Would it be an upgrade buying the sand filter? I also have a 8gal liquidator on the system? Any help and recommendations are much appreciated!!!

Yes, a 1 HP matrix or dynamo would be fine. Even better for saving money would be a two speed version of either of those pumps.

I'm not sure which filter you currently have, "sw110mpaks" doesn't match with any of the models I am familiar with, so I'm not sure how the sand filter will compare. In general I recommend getting a filter larger than that sand filter. Larger filters can go longer between backwashings/cleanings and are generally more efficient overall.

I can't find that model filter, but it appears to be 110 sqft. It's a bit small but should be ok for that pool. Bigger is better. :-D

I suggest you look at a 2-speed pump. I also wouldn't get the sand filter unless it's almost a giveaway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.