new filter recommendations

jp4120

May 11, 2012
Norristown, PA
currently have a pentair nautilus fns 48- about 15 years old
pool is a approx 28K gallons
starting to wear away plus has been leaking from the bleeder screw at various time.
I guess right now it works but needs a bleeder screw, o-ring and a pressure gauge (original markings are barely visible)

what filter would anyone recommend? should I just fix the bleeder valve issues till the whole thing fails? I guess these will last 20 years?

I am no expert in the field of pool equipment. But what I have done is found out my old DE filter is obsolete. I found this out when I looked for new elemets for the old ones that had holes worn in it. Lucky for me I did find the loose parts to replace the insides of my filter for half the cost of a new one.

In my opinion look and see what makes sense to you. Is your current system still supported and are parts readily available?
Were you happy with your old filters performance? If not then maybe a change is in the works for you.

My two cents worth.

With appropriate parts replacement you can probably keep that filter working for some time yet. On the other hand having a new filter could reduce the amount of maintenance you need to do and improve the overall efficiency of your system. Mostly it is a question of how you feel about spending money more than a question we can answer for you.

If you do go with a new filter, I suggest getting something significantly larger than what you have now. Larger filters can go longer between backwashes/cleanings and improve system efficiency.

have a steady small leak out of the middle of the filter - not major but equipment pad is wet whenever the pump runs and I like everything bone dry..... I assume replacing the o-ring will resolve - its about a $40 part
the band tighteners are all the way tight - always use a very reasonable single owner operator for all pool work - but I'm thinking for this I should take it apart and replace the o-ring myself.
any reason replacing the o-ring wouldn't resolve?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.