Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaking Through Gunite?

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaking Through Gunite?

My plaster pool has a spot on the wall where the Polaris cleaner wore off the plaster. Also, the edges of the steps show exposed gunite from the Polaris rubbing on them. Lately, the pool's water level has been dropping by about 1/2" to 3/4" per day, which far exceeds the evaporation rate determined by my bucket test. I can't find any leaks in my plumbing, so I'm wondering if the exposed gunite is allowing water to seep out into the soil.

Also, short of resurfacing the pool (which we can't afford right now), is there anything I can do to patch that area without draining the pool? The guy at the pool store told me some epoxy paste would work, but I'm skeptical of that advice. Would that work?

Here's a picture from last Summer. The spot is where the wall meets the floor in the three-foot deep end of the pool. The spot is roughly 10-12" wide at its widest point.

PS: My pool looks a lot cleaner than it appears in this old photo!
    blubluenoiseise

My pool: 14,750 gallons in-ground plaster
    FAFCO Solar panels (seven 4' x 12') with a Goldline automatic controller
    1/2 HP WhisperFlo filter pump, Kreepy Krauly cleaner, Cartridge Filter
    Aquarite SWG, Satisfied user of the TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Gunite is not waterproof but it doesn't let water through very rapidly either. I wouldn't normally expect even a half dozen spots like the one you showed to account for that much water loss.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    i would use hydraulic cement untill you can get a good marbledusting