No chlorine no cya

At this time, how much CYA have you added to the pool? If you have added enough for 30 ppm then you should be fine until you are done shocking. The CYA helps the chlorine from breaking down from sunlight. Since you are still losing plenty during the night you still have organics that the chlorine needs to break down. Stay the course, run the pump 24/7, brush every day and keep the FC level at shock level as much as you can.

Your CYA should only be around 20 ppm right now. If you add 5 more pounds that will bring the CYA up to around 50 ppm. If you add this much CYA you will lose less FC to the sunlight but you will need to target a lot higher FC to make up for the higher CYA. Your target shock FC will be 20 ppm with a CYA of 50.

I suggest you put in at least 1.5 lbs of CYA to bring your total up to 30. Thirty is the minimum that you should have so you don't lose too much FC to sunlight. Personally, I would add the 5lbs and be done with the CYA.

FC held at 14 for about 4 hours last pm but fell back to 7 by 7am. Added 4 more gallons bleach. Is this ever going to end? Pool water is clear and blue but not crystal clear. Stay the course is still your advice?

Finally last night my pool held FC value all nite and still holding today at noon. Now, I still am not registering any CYA even though I added 4 lbs a week ago and have 2.5 lbs hanging in a sock by my return. I think tonight I will add the additional 2.5 lbs and broadcast it and be done!!! Pool water is clear and nearly crystal. ph is 7.2. Any others words of wisdom from the pool Gods. I wouldn't have great water if it weren't for all of you on this forum. I cannot thank you enough for all your advice!!!

Parker12 said:
Finally last night my pool held FC value all nite and still holding today at noon.
:goodjob:
Now, I still am not registering any CYA even though I added 4 lbs a week ago and have 2.5 lbs hanging in a sock by my return.
Assume that the amount you added is there. The test is +/- 10 - 15 and it is difficult to distinguish a 20ish CYA.

I think tonight I will add the additional 2.5 lbs and broadcast it and be done!!!
We do NOT recommend you broadcast CYA (acid) on your vinyl pool! Adding it via sock method is the best bet. Under normal conditions (not shocking or needing to backwash your filter), you could just add it to your filter. But, no go on this either at this time.

Now would be a good time for your to add your pool and equipment specs to your sig.

Pool water is clear and nearly crystal. ph is 7.2.
Keep an eye on the pH.

Any others words of wisdom from the pool Gods. I wouldn't have great water if it weren't for all of you on this forum. I cannot thank you enough for all your advice!!!
Can you post a pic of your pool for us? :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well still no cya registering yet after adding 5 lbs by sock method. My chlorine level is still 10 and I have addedno more bleach and left pool uncovered all day to try and burn some off. My swg is set on 50%. Water is clear but kids complaining their eyes hurt after swimming. Any thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.