Cloudy with stains

May 8, 2012
Georgia
Ok, so I just orderd the tf100 this morning, a few years too late...but in the mean time my pool is cloudy with stains. Im new here so I will begin by saying I have a 14x 32 free form fiberglass pool with p4 aqua logic system and a hayward sand filter. No real problems for the 5 years I have had it except for stains that come off with stain treat of some sort, this year is a different story. Here is what I have done so far, my pool was crystal clear except for some staining from over the winter I ordered some ascorbic acid from a site listed on a forum here and followed the directions, and wow the stains were gone and my pool looked brand new!! Then about a week later my water started to cloud not green but just cloudy, I had the water tested (at ace hardware) they were unable to test the salt and unable to print results (I know) but they told me my CH was low, CYA low, PH right, and my FC was 0. I had just added bleach a couple days before because we had alot of swimmers over the weekend. Something didnt sound right so I went with my only other option, the pool store (I know) here is the results from the same sample TC 3.0, FC 2.6, PH 7.7, TA 50, CYA 30, SALT 2900(my reading 3100). I bought 8lbs CH, 2lbs CYA, and I already had baking soda. after adding these 3 things this morning my pool is yuck, not green but brownish staining on walls, seats, steps. I know my tf100 is on its way, but some advise would help me from going off the deep end and filling in the pool, THANKS.

Welcome to TFP!

Have you added sequestrant? Having the water cloud up after an AA treatment and adding sequestrant is normal, though I am not completely sure of the timing from your description. On the other hand, having the stains come back fairly quickly is common when you don't add sequestrant.

Your CYA is nowhere near high enough for use with a SWG. However, you want to rule out the possibility of algae before raising CYA. Algae is much easier to get rid of when CYA is around 30 than it is when CYA is higher.

Thanks for the info, cant wait to get my TF100. Here is the latest, I just went this morning and had my water tested at another pool store just to see what the levels are now that I added the CYA, CH, and baking soda. Their readings this morning, TA 70, TC 2.0, FC 1.9, PH 7.6, CH 210, CYA 65, SALT 3900( my reading today 3300). I also bumped my chlorine% from 85 to 95 to bring up FC. Should I ajust anything else before I redo the AA treatment and add sequestering agent?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.