Sweet pool opening this year!!

edweather

LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2010
Kingsland, GA
After last year's nightmare pool opening, (green water and 3 weeks to clear it) with a wet winter and early spring, and half the water in the neighborhood draining through our backyard and into our pool, we had a 150' curtain drain installed. It wasn't cheap, but this spring our backyard is dry, and when we removed the pool cover the water was almost clear......SWEET! The pH was 7 and the stabilizer was 40ppm. The only thing it lacked was chlorine. It was almost swimable from the get go. My son has been in 3 times this week! Thanks TFP. Ed

I have a few co-workers who own pools as well. My boss uses the normal pool store method but agree'd that proper amounts of chlorine is the key. (though I'm sure he uses test strips)

One of my co-workers uses baquacil and said his kids enjoy it because it doesn't burn their eyes. :lol: He thinks the price is worth it. But was also dreading the task of replacing his sand. (I think he said because his water isn't clear enough)

I tried to get them interested, but even if I told them that I have none of their problems and my water was crystal clear when I opened, doesn't burn your eyes, etc. they still wouldn't change their ways.

:blah:

Electricity is my biggest expense. :mrgreen:
(of course I'm not including heating, since that's not relative to maintenance methods)

Neighbor thinks I'm looney when he sees me dumping a jug of bleach in the pool every couple of days. He professes his love to his tried-and-true pool frog, while admiring how clear my water is.

Electricity is my biggest expense as well, but I'm experimenting with pump run-times now. I'm at 6 hours now, and pool looks good. Hoping that will reduce my wife's swearing when she looks at the electric bill.

This site has made me OCD now about the pool. If one leaf is one the floor....out comes the vacuum. Before with baquacil never had that problem.....never could see the floor. If I could just get rid of the millions of buds falling from the trees this time of year.

gkruske said:
He professes his love to his tried-and-true pool frog, while admiring how clear my water is.
A friend of mine told me how awesome her friend's pool is because she got the pool frog. This was before I found TFP. I'm extremely glad that I had no desire to get it. I'm wondering how her pool is doing now..?? :rant:

gkruske said:
Electricity is my biggest expense as well, but I'm experimenting with pump run-times now. I'm at 6 hours now, and pool looks good. Hoping that will reduce my wife's swearing when she looks at the electric bill.
I'm lucky, our electricity is rather cheap. I believe it's around $0.095/kWh - Running my 2 speed on low (24/7) I'm thinking it costs me around $30/mo.

Leebo said:
This site has made me OCD now about the pool. If one leaf is one the floor....out comes the vacuum. Before with baquacil never had that problem.....never could see the floor. If I could just get rid of the millions of buds falling from the trees this time of year.
Opening early this season I sure am noticing quite a bit falling in. The solar cover has been on so it's not as bad. But I can't wait to leave it uncovered.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.