How to position pavers for support legs?

Apr 21, 2012
18x52 Ultra Frame.
I have leveled the ground in a 19' circle. From reading posts on this site I understand that something to increase surface area needs to be placed under the support legs to prevent sinking. I also understand that they need to be recessed to approximately .25" above the pad surface, positioned to prevent touching liner and have the support legs well onto the surface. Apparently the legs shift while filling the pool so this seems like a difficult procedure given all the variables. What is the approved solution?

I installed the pool last year but took it down at the end of season because the pad was not quite level. I did not notice the legs having sunk but could have been the off-level situation making it unnoticeable. The soil is hard packed sandy clay or clay sand but does get a little mushy on the surface with rain.

Reactions: rickybobby623
This is how I do it and so far so good. I position each leg on the inside edge of my 1X1 foot pads. In this picture it's 1 1/2 inches treated plywood dug in flush. When I fill the pool the legs tend to splay out some and with the help of the ground rope the legs end up just about in the middle of the pads. You don't want a lot of tension on the rope but a little is ok. Also, make sure the top rail is round by measuring many points across the circle before you place and dig in the pads. It's a good idea to dig those pads in flush too because if they are proud of the surface you may feel them through the liner.

poolfoot.jpg

docchop1, nice job on the explanation and picture.

Yours is the blue walled type intex, is it not? I wonder if the spring out of the legs is the same for the ultra type? Either way, that is a lot of movement. Any reason why you used wood instead of patio block?

I agree keeping the block flush makes good sense here.

Yes mine is the blue wall Intex and it will be interesting to hear if the ultra pools legs kick out as much. Some of the pictures I've seen on these forums suggest they spring out some. Maybe an ultra owner can shed some light.
:) Nope no special reason that I used wood pads on part of the pool this year. I didn't have enough pavers but I did have a bunch of 3/4 treated plywood scraps so I doubled them up and stuck them in the ground. Seemed like the thing to do.

Thanks for all the input. So I need to assemble the frame and place it on the pad to mark the block placements? The frame on my pool snaps together with flimsy plastic tension buttons and holes. I don't think I would want to try to move it once assembled especially with the liner attached so I would want to disassemble once block location is marked? I would assume that the legs would need to be placed on the round frame, unlike docchop1's photo, in order to assure the leg insert of the T fitting were vertical and level? There is so much play in the frame fittings I doubt the frame alone would be very stable without the liner although I haven't tried. Given the amount of play in the frame, even with measuring like docchop1 suggested, I am doubtful that I would be able to get the legs to strike the same place after reassembling w liner and then filling w water.

Reactions: Jetm2188
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.