Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Cart Filter AUTO AIR RELIEF TUBE

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Cart Filter AUTO AIR RELIEF TUBE

Just got a HAYWARD C900 Cartridge Filter installed. Everything makes sense to me except this one part.

How does the AUTO AIR RELIEF TUBE WORK?

I have bubbles in my return water - does this mean I have an air leak in my plumbing???

dp
    9x17 AG Vinyl "SPLASHER" w/outside struts (7/04), thru the wall skimmer & return, C900 Hayward Cartridge Filter (3/08), 1 hp Hayward Power-Flo II pump (4/09), Wanda Whale auto cleaner (3/07), new Wanda shoes (6/09), VinylWorks A Frame Step Ladder Entry System w/Gate (5/06), 5-1gal gravel-filled jugs hung w/ zip ties under steps to stop steps from floating, 1-3" TAB FLOAT under stairs (empty), More noodles, floats, and toys than allowed in any 9x17 sized pool!

2. Back To Top    #2
    There is a manual air release at the top of the filter (partially unscrew small block nob with pump running). Try to release all of the air and see if air bubbles go away. If not, do you have a SWG?

The auto air relief allows air to escape through the returns instead of using the manual nob. However, it does not get all of the air out of the filter and what air it can get out may take a while since the tube is quite small.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3
    Thanks for the reply. I kinda figured it goes to the RETURN because that's where it bottoms out. So, I'm thinking that bubbles are the AUTO released air.

dp
    9x17 AG Vinyl "SPLASHER" w/outside struts (7/04), thru the wall skimmer & return, C900 Hayward Cartridge Filter (3/08), 1 hp Hayward Power-Flo II pump (4/09), Wanda Whale auto cleaner (3/07), new Wanda shoes (6/09), VinylWorks A Frame Step Ladder Entry System w/Gate (5/06), 5-1gal gravel-filled jugs hung w/ zip ties under steps to stop steps from floating, 1-3" TAB FLOAT under stairs (empty), More noodles, floats, and toys than allowed in any 9x17 sized pool!