HELP! My pool is green

Jun 25, 2007
Birmingham, Alabama
I live in Alabama and in March the weather got super hot so we decided to open pool early. This year was the first and last time we have ever not covered the pool for the winter Big Mistake!. Anyway, got pool filled, filter running. The first week I ran the automatic vacuum and the filter continuously all the while keeping the chlorine levels high. The weather then turned cold and the small filter's gasket broke so I turned everything off and decided to wait a while. Within the past 5 days I've kept the chlorine level high and ran the auto vacuum which is picking up leaves, pine straw and debris 2-3x daily :? . I've managed to get rid of the slimy, goopy algae that was once in the pool. Every other day I backwash and have ran the pump continuously all the while maintaining shock level chlorine. I sweep the sides and the bottom every other day or when the auto vacuum is not running. I cannot use the other vacuum as I can't see the bottom yet. :x I have yet to see any kind of improvement whatsoever! The best readings I can give at this time are: 15,000+/- gallons 28' round above ground.
FC 20+
PH 6.8
Alk 40
stab 0
I have a new/better testing kit on its way!
What else do I need to be doing to clear it up? patience?
I need advice and help fast!

You seem to have generally the right idea about the shock process, but how are you defining shock level? If your CYA (stabilizer is really 0, then your shock level is < 10ppm for FC)

What test kit did you order? Hopefully one with the FAS-DPD FC/CC test.

You need to first try to remove everything you can from the pool using a net/rake. Then follow the Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis article. Once your pool is no longer green and starts to clear, you will need to get your CYA up to 20-30ppm to protect the FC from the sun to finish off the shocking process.

You also should backwash when the pressure goes up 20-25% of your clean filter pressure ... this may be more than once daily at the start.

Please add your pool and equipment details to your signature as well.

yes, I'm running the pump 24/7 but the gauge isn't working until this weekend so I have no idea about the pressure, etc. As far as getting all debris out of the bottom. I can't see to use the net and the auto vacuum seems to be getting most of it as long as I keep it cleaned out...I don't know specifics on the pool, only that its 15,000 gallons, sand filter, 28" round, vinyl. The stabilizer is not even registering on my kit (it is about out of chemicals and worn out) so I assumed it was 0. The chlorine levels are at shock level and I've been keeping it there so I've been tackling one chemical at a time.

Bamagirl said:
The chlorine levels are at shock level and I've been keeping it there so I've been tackling one chemical at a time.

Again ... shock level according to what criteria? Having your FC too high in relation to your CYA will actually start to hurt and bleach your liner.

Which test kit did you order?

If you are having problems identifying you equipment, post a few pictures of your pad any placards on the equipment and we can help.

You should be able to get a replacement gauge at a local pool store or hardware store ... you should definitely fix it so you have an idea about your pressure rise.

Ok. The latest #'s I have are
TC 1
FC 3
PH 7.2
Alk 140
Stab 100
Pressure is 15%
Water Temp 76°

I have a Hayward e-series sand filter, 28' round above ground.

The water is blue, but still cloudy. I can almost see the bottom. What else should I be doing? Patience and persistence.
BTW, I used a neighbors test kit (I think its by Taylor) until mine arrives (they have a salt water pool) does that make a
difference in testing kits?

I repeat, what kit did you order? Must not have been the TF100 that we recommend as you would have had it over a week ago.

You are obviously not following the Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis or Shocking Your Pool threads as you would be testing hourly at the start ... and you do not have a kit yet.

Also review Chlorine CYA Chart. If your CYA is really 100 (although likely it is higher as the test stops there) your shock FC level is 39ppm ... you have 1ppm? (maybe, TC must be > FC so something you posted is not quite right) At this point more stuff is starting to grow than you are killing. Even if you were not shocking you would have to maintain FC > 7ppm to avoid stuff growing.

What have you been adding to your pool that now made it cloudy blue instead of green?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.