Normal mottling?

gretta

Jun 24, 2008
Hi all,

I had my pool resurfaced 2 days ago and was wondering if this was what I should have expected for mottling. It is a white quartz finish. The pics are before the water went in, but it still looks basically the same. I knew it wouldn't be perfect but I was hoping for a little better appearance. I'm a little mad 'cause they were late getting to me and then did it on the hottest day of the year so far...about 95 degrees that day. I don't know how much of a difference that makes tho.

Right now it is sitting at about 6 ph. I'm waiting for the guy to come to adjust the ph and then I'm going to do the balancing. And still lots of plaster dust.

Thanks for any input!

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 123
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 123
That is a little worse than I would expect, but not completely out of the normal range. Have you talked to the builder about it? Some builders make allowances for fixing imperfect finishes in their routine procedures and just need to be told that there is something they need to look at.

Often the mottling can be reduced, though not usually eliminated, with an acid wash. It is quite possible your builder is already planning to do an acid wash, as it is a fairly common procedure with quartz finishes and often not done until several days after plaster is applied. Do you know if they are planning to do an acid wash and just haven't gotten to it yet? Alternatively, they might have lowered the PH right from the start instead of doing a separate acid wash.

They plastered Monday and put the acid in on Thursday. He was supposed to come back Friday or today (sat). Since I know acid start-up is not that great to begin with how many days is safe to leaver at a low ph if he doesn't show up until Monday?

To be clear...these pics are before water. Now with the acid bath I think they might be a bit lighter but since it has been two days I would suppose that is as good as they are going to get?

Thank you for the reply.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.