My tests and tests and tests...

Re: My test vs pool store test.

linen said:
db13berry said:
The past two days I back washed 3 times each day. Prior to that, I backwashed 2 - 3 times a day depending on my time at home. Today I have only had time to back wash twice so far. This morning it was dirty and psi was up. This evening the psi wasn't up but I back washed anyway and the sight glass was mostly clean.
Sounds like you are still getting plenty out of your water using the filter. I would wait until you psi goes up by 25% from your clean pressure, then backwash. A slightly dirty sand filter is a better (lower micron) filter than a clean one.

Hmm, did not know that about the slightly dirty filter. Thanks for the tip!

db13berry said:
I wish I had taken pics from the beginning. I had no idea there would be such interest in a green swamp pool though.

The darker the pool.....the more fun for us it is!

So my Chlorine is still holding well. I lost 2ppm today so FC is 11 right now. My water is better and I would say it should be crystal clear by tomorrow or the next. ALMOST THERE!!!

Next question. I am not electrically inclined at all. I went out and took pics of my sand filter and my motor. I have no idea what size the filter is but my motor is 3/4 horsepower. It seems from the label that it can be set to run at high and low settings, however, my set up just has an off/on switch (simple plumbing set up too) and only runs at high setting. Is this something that can be changed? Is this a good HP motor for the size of my filter and the size of my pool?

Attachments

• motor 4.17.12.jpg
    motor 4.17.12.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 101
  • filter 4.17.12.jpg
    filter 4.17.12.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 101

It certainly looks like a 2-speed motor so it should be possible to change the wiring to add an additional switch to select low or high speed. But if you are not very electrically inclined, it might be best to leave for a pro.

If you were able to take detailed pix of the wiring in the switch and motor (AFTER ensuring the power is shut off at the breaker), someone may be able to suggest how to wire in a switch.

Oh no no no no. I would never try to do it myself. My renter is a licensed electrician though.... may need to work out something on the rent with him........

Does this look like the right size everything for the pool?

Sounds like the pump and filter are doing a good enough job clearing your pool. You seem to have a rare setup with a pump is not way over sized.

If you can get a switch on the speed, you should be able to run it on low to save electricity for day to day circulation and switch it on high for backwashing / vacuuming / etc.

db13berry said:
Next question. I am not electrically inclined at all. I went out and took pics of my sand filter and my motor. I have no idea what size the filter is but my motor is 3/4 horsepower. It seems from the label that it can be set to run at high and low settings, however, my set up just has an off/on switch (simple plumbing set up too) and only runs at high setting. Is this something that can be changed? Is this a good HP motor for the size of my filter and the size of my pool?

This is actually a motor that can be run from two different voltages. It can be set up to run either on 120VAC or 240VAC. It is actually a single speed though. Hope that helps.
Randy

Ahh. I see. Thanks rmax.

Well, pool is clear. I can see all edges at the deep end. Its still not perfectly clear and sparkly though so I am going to keep at shock level tonight and see what tomorrow holds. The rain showers the last two days probably haven't helped with my clarity but there is nothing floating in my water at all.

Will see if I gain a bit more clarity tomorrow, then post full numbers to see where I need to go from here with everything else. Does that sound like the direction I need to take? I can take my time as long as I keep the water clear. I wont be swimming in 68 degree water right now. Ha! Also, any recommendation on a way to heat the water. Do the solar covers work well? I've never heated a pool before and hubby is a sissy and doesn't like to swim in less than 85 degrees. Would like to make it more comfortable for him to get in before July this year. It's good therapy for his back.

edit: Also got home today and my gauge is stuck. It wont move, so time to get a new gauge tomorrow. The return flow feels normal though, so I am sure my pressure isn't high at all.

rmax said:
db13berry said:

This is actually a motor that can be run from two different voltages. It can be set up to run either on 120VAC or 240VAC. It is actually a single speed though. Hope that helps.
Randy

Oops ...
I saw that it listed 120 and 240V but still misinterpreted the diagram for 2-speeds. :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The main loss of heat from the pool is due to evaporation. A solar cover will capture some heat AND prevent the evaporation. That is certainly the easiest/cheapest route to start with on heating your pool.

I say go for it and if you still want to go hotter in the shoulder seasons, they you could consider plumbing solar panels or a heat pump.

jblizzle said:
The main loss of heat from the pool is due to evaporation. A solar cover will capture some heat AND prevent the evaporation. That is certainly the easiest/cheapest route to start with on heating your pool.

I say go for it and if you still want to go hotter in the shoulder seasons, they you could consider plumbing solar panels or a heat pump.

Thanks, Jason! I am sure glad I found you guys! I would have spent WAY more money at this point to get the pool clean up if I had continued pool storing it. Now I can shop for solar covers with the money I have saved! Also, I stopped to get some more bleach today and the stock boy asked me was I cleaning up my pool. :lol: The secret is out!

Pool has been clear for a few days now. I haven't put anything in it. I've just been checking levels everyday and dipping/vacuumng any debris out.

Today
FC 7.5
CC 0
TA 70
CYA 40 (Don't know why it went from 30 to 40. Tester error probably)
PH 7.1 (best guess since it's between 7.2 and 6.8. Could be 7.0 but going with 7.1)
Temp 72

Water is clear. I've stopped running the pump 24/7 now since I have passed all three tests. The pool calculator says my numbers are ok except for the PH. My range is 7.5 to 7.8 and I should add 46 oz of Soda Ash or 92 oz of Borax. I understand adding the Soda Ash or Borax will increase my TA also. On the other hand, raising the TA with baking soda (adding 57oz) from 70 to 80 (Goal range 70 to 90) will increase the PH but I don't know how much. So which should I do if anything? I don't want to raise the PH or TA too much.

I suggest you just let the pH rise on its own; however, if you feel inclined to tweek it, use borax.

Or, to raise the pH with no effect on the TA, use some aeration.

The TA is perfect where it is.

Thanks Butterfly. I'll just let it sit as it is then and let it do its thing. No need to add something if I don't absolutely need to.

Strange to not have anything to do to it......... :lol:
And I can't swim in it yet either. :cry:

db13berry said:
Thanks Butterfly. I'll just let it sit as it is then and let it do its thing. No need to add something if I don't absolutely need to.

Strange to not have anything to do to it......... :lol:
And I can't swim in it yet either. :cry:
You're welcome :wink:

Yeah, 72 º is too cold! That can make swimmers look like a smurf :smurf:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.