My tests and tests and tests...

Re: My test vs pool store test.

I'm baaaaack. So today I have been at it all day. Vacuuming to waste, refilling and vacuuming to waste. Definitely no more leafs or trash on bottom. Have back washed some really ugly water twice today. Pool is slowly clearing. I can see the vacuum head half way down the slope. So there is some slow clearing. I'm quickly losing my POP though!! Supposed to be 90 degrees tomorrow.

Readings now are
FC 11 ( added one gallon of bleach an hour ago)
CC 0.5
TA 60
CYA 30 ( lots of refilling and wasting today. I tested twice.)
PH 7.2
Temp 68 (Brrrr!!)

Any suggestions or continue to try to be patient? My water is not clear yet. Should I continue to shock or let the Cl level come down? Continue to run pump 24/7 or turn off and allow to settle?
Oh and I passed the OCLT test this morning.

Your numbers now look great. Let the CYA sit for a few days and maybe test once again in about a week, just to make sure. Other than that you're in great shape to start shocking your pool. Keep using ONLY liquid chlorine (bleach is fine) and you won't have a need to drain your pool again. Keep your FC levels at this point above 13 (you're right about there if you had just added a gallon of bleach, but I'm assuming these test readings were before you added it) until all three of these statements are true....
1. My CC is below 0.5
2. I lost less than 1FC overnight (OCLT)
3. My water is clear

Until all three are a yes then you should still shock the pool. Continue to run the pump 24/7. This may seem like an overkill for now....but this will only set you up for a great summer in your pool. What does your water look like now??

The water is cloudy blue. Maybe a tinge green in the bottom of the deep end since I've stirred it up today. Going to add one more gallon of bleach I think. Can't hurt.
Just need to pass number 3 now.

Ok, will stay patient and keep the FC up.

Gotta have some pop. If you stop the shocking process now, you most likely will be doing it again soon. Brushing often can help speed things up. How long have you been doing the shocking process?

Going to add one more gallon of bleach I think. Can't hurt.
Test regularly and dose precisely. The most common cause of long, drawn-out times to get a pool cleared up is not maintaining FC at the proper level.

You started with a CYA of 50ppm which means your FC should have been kept at 20ppm the entire time. If your CYA is now 30 (are you sure you have drained 40% of your pool just backwashing??) your shock value for FC should be 12.

Stay out of the pool store and trust your own testing.....that's an important aspect of BBB. I suspect your CYA might be just a little higher than 30 if it was 50 on Friday. Bring your FC up to the appropriate level for the CYA reading you get and then HOLD IT THERE UNTIL YOUR POOL IS CLEAR (not shouting, just emphasizing :lol: :lol: )

As long as you are getting nasty water when you backwash, you are clearing your pool. It is possible that your filter is somewhat undersized for your pool and that will also slow the process but I think your primary issue has not been holding your FC high enough.

Keep the faith. :-D

linen said:
Gotta have some pop. If you stop the shocking process now, you most likely will be doing it again soon. Brushing often can help speed things up. How long have you been doing the shocking process?

I have been at this for 2 weeks. Have no idea how much bleach I have used. I had trouble with the pool last year. Water stayed dull all summer with the pool store. I let the pool go over the winter because I was so frustrated with it I couldnt stand to look at it anymore.
My Spider Gasket was bad during this year's opening process. (we actually replace it ever year) I replaced it and have seen results every day. Even if just a small one. I brush every day and try to vacuum the junk off the bottom as often as I can.

duraleigh said:
Going to add one more gallon of bleach I think. Can't hurt.
Test regularly and dose precisely. The most common cause of long, drawn-out times to get a pool cleared up is not maintaining FC at the proper level.

You started with a CYA of 50ppm which means your FC should have been kept at 20ppm the entire time. If your CYA is now 30 (are you sure you have drained 40% of your pool just backwashing??) your shock value for FC should be 12.

Stay out of the pool store and trust your own testing.....that's an important aspect of BBB. I suspect your CYA might be just a little higher than 30 if it was 50 on Friday. Bring your FC up to the appropriate level for the CYA reading you get and then HOLD IT THERE UNTIL YOUR POOL IS CLEAR (not shouting, just emphasizing :lol: :lol: )

As long as you are getting nasty water when you backwash, you are clearing your pool. It is possible that your filter is somewhat undersized for your pool and that will also slow the process but I think your primary issue has not been holding your FC high enough.

Keep the faith. :-D

I didn't add any more last night. I also realized I have been using the pool calculator WRONG! HAHAHA! Ever had one of those "light bulb" moments?

I am not sure how much water I actually drained but I know it was quite a bit. I am not confident in my CYA results at all and will have to learn to trust myself. The CYA is the only one I don't trust with the kit. I am checking it again today after letting the water warm up to room temp. And I am going to try to do it outside with my back to the sun. I have tried to maintain FC at 11-12 at all times......... but see above. Oops!

Will stay out of the pool store. I am very happy this morning. Hubby is impressed since I have taken over this year. Things are really clearing up now. I can make out the deep end but its still cloudy. Going to maintain FC at 12 until clear.

This AM
FC 11 (bumped it up to 12)
CC 0
PH 7.2

I agree my filter is probably on the small size. I have no idea what size it is though. The sticker is partially gone from the side and I can only make out Hayward 900 on it. I have no idea what that means. (Never mind, that sticker relates to an old Kreepy sticker I think)

Will keep patient and keep learning. Thanks!! Good news is next year we will be replacing our liner, so this year, it really doesn't matter what happens to it as long as I don't melt it. :lol: Good timing for all this learning.

Next problem. Around the edges of my steps and some areas of the liner below the water line and all the way to the bottom, I have a yellow/brownish stain. I am on well water. I used a Vit C tablet and rubbed it and the spot I rubbed faded. What do I do? In the past, we have had to use Metal Out stuff from the pool store. Off to search and see if I can find the solution before I get a reply here.

I was in the middle of writing this when I saw your post. I am posting now just to confirm what you have already found out...nice work!

I would undertake that project only after the pool is balanced and crystal clear. That said, I don't think that will be very long....I just don't want you to lose focus on clearing your pool because the stain problem is unrelated.

If the Vitamin C tablet faded the stain (well water is another giveaway) you most likely have iron in your water. The correct way to remove the stain is and Ascorbic Acid treatment. Once your pool is cleaned up and balanced, then you should start with this article in Pool School...pool-school/metal%20stains

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks for the confirmation! I will come back here and ask someone to hold my hand when I do get ready to start that project. :lol:

For now, I will just ignore the stains and pretend they aren't even there. :-D

Bahahha! Reminds me of this....

Three friends married women from different parts of the country. The first man married a woman from Florida . He told her that she was to do the dishes and house cleaning. It took a couple of days, but on the third day, he came home to see a clean house and dishes washed and put away. The second man married a woman from South Dakota . He gave his wife orders that she was to do all the cleaning, dishes and the cooking. The first day he didn't see any results, but the next day he saw it was better. By the third day, he saw his house was clean, the dishes were done, and there was a huge dinner on the table. The third man married a girl from GEORGIA ... He ordered her to keep the house cleaned, dishes washed, lawn mowed, laundry washed, and hot meals on the table for every meal. He said the first day he didn't see anything, the second day he didn't see anything but by the third day, some of the swelling had gone down and he could see a little out of his left eye, and his arm was healed enough that he could fix himself a sandwich and load the dishwasher. He still has some difficulty when he pees..

Ok. So I let my water warm to room temp and checked my CYA again. I actually used the same mix 5 times by pouring back and forth to make sure. My CYA is 30. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

FC is at shock level of 13 per the pool calculator (since I have now figured out how the thing works. DUH!)

Also, the pool calculator has my pool at 24200 gallons. So, I am sticking with that number too.

The pool surface sure does sparkle when I'm sitting poolside. Its not cloudy until I look down into the deep end.

Are you brushing the pool often? Sounds like you're near the end of the process. Brushing the pool circulate move the water around shocking all parts. Keep at it.....sounds like you're close and getting the idea of what you're doing. Might even make for an enjoyable year.

Edit....I re-read the post. Ignore my question. Good job brushing!! You know what you're doing....now finish off the algae.

Leebo said:
Are you brushing the pool often? Sounds like you're near the end of the process. Brushing the pool circulate move the water around shocking all parts. Keep at it.....sounds like you're close and getting the idea of what you're doing. Might even make for an enjoyable year.

I am brushing and stirring up at least 2 - 3 times a day. Today, I am brushing and there seems to be nothing clouding around the brush. Been at it pretty continuous this weekend and have seen big results since yesterday morning. I am close. The laundry can wait.

Oh, I also put a knee high hose on my skimmer basket. That thing sure catches some stuff. I've rinsed it 3 times today already.

Thanks!

Pool is still cloudy. Some better than yesterday, but it's just a tad better. Have to go get the floating pollen tassels out in a bit.

I wish I had taken pics from the beginning. I had no idea there would be such interest in a green swamp pool though.

Here are my test results from a few minutes ago. Only down 1 FC through the day today. It has been overcast all day though and its just started to rain.
FC 12
CC 0
PH 7.2

Continue POP?

Added some pics....

Attachments

• Pool on Friday 4.13.12 at night.jpg
    Pool on Friday 4.13.12 at night.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 26
  • pool 4.16.12.2.jpg
    pool 4.16.12.2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 27
  • pool 4.16.2012.jpg
    pool 4.16.2012.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 26

Sounds like your close, don't give up yet...for now don't stop shocking until you meet all three criteria including your water being crystal clear. How often are you having to backwash?

The past two days I back washed 3 times each day. Prior to that, I backwashed 2 - 3 times a day depending on my time at home. Today I have only had time to back wash twice so far. This morning it was dirty and psi was up. This evening the psi wasn't up but I back washed anyway and the sight glass was mostly clean.

db13berry said:
The past two days I back washed 3 times each day. Prior to that, I backwashed 2 - 3 times a day depending on my time at home. Today I have only had time to back wash twice so far. This morning it was dirty and psi was up. This evening the psi wasn't up but I back washed anyway and the sight glass was mostly clean.
Sounds like you are still getting plenty out of your water using the filter. I would wait until you psi goes up by 25% from your clean pressure, then backwash. A slightly dirty sand filter is a better (lower micron) filter than a clean one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.