Baqua -> BBB conversion

Great video! I've never used baq, but I like following this topic, so it's interesting to see the changes as you add chlorine. You get a good visual also on your circulation. Other users contemplating the change would see this as valuable knowledge. Make the video a "sticky"?

ultra800_96 said:
Make the video a "sticky"?

I'd like to see this thread as number one in a new, locked forum (only mods can post, etc.). Call it "BBB Success Stories", and have it be the home for the best threads where someone defeated a swamp or converted from Baquacil. In order to be considered to be moved, the thread must be successful, must have nearly continuous updates, and most importantly, lots of pictures.

Not only would the BBB method be shown off, but every new person that comes to this website, having doubts, wondering "How in God's name can this possibly work?", would have a place to see the proof. Along with the fact that the success stories are wildly entertaining.

Mods? Thoughts?

Sorry for the thread drift. redefeld, keep those pictures coming!!

Smykowski,

That's an interesting thought and worth considering. All the rest of the Mods usually sleep 'til noon or so, so we don't want to disturb their Beauty Sleep. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Like everything, it will probably take some time to mull it over. One of the things we have to resist is making the site too complicated by having too many forums and divisions. I think we have too many now but many folks disagree.

Most folks who have been on here a while seldom use the separate forums but rather visit by "new posts since last visit" which sorta' diminishes the need for divisions of any kind. Newbies, however, use the divisions (forums) a lot to get right to the subject in which they are interested.

A "Success Story" segment has merit, to me.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Heck - I'm just happy that I documented with photos - makes it easy to go back and look to see if i'm making progress!
Day 3 now, we had a ton of wind last night and a bit of rain (sorry Leebo, only about 3/4 of an inch - but we're expected to get more today. I'm sending it your way!). I put in a dose last night, and this morning here are the numbers:
FC: 12
CC: 6.5
TC: 18.5

FC is dropping a bit but not much! It's raining on and off now, and the sun, albeit behind the clouds, is still out so I was going to wait and dose this evening. You can now see the shallow end and slight shadows in the deep. The best part, my wife came down and said "wow, the pool is looking so much better!" I think so, what do you guys think?

Day3_1.jpg

Day3_2.jpg

Day3_3.jpg

Day3_4.jpg

On a side note, looks like I need to get my behind out and vacuum the bottom... now that I can see where I'm going!

I was just looking at weather.com at your area. Ya....um I think I'll pass on your weather. Thanks however! Looks to me like about 100 miles to the west was where all the real "fun" was at.

Pool is looking GREAT! It looks like you've got the hang of things and in a few day's you'll be ready to jump on in!

Attachments

• kansas .jpg
    kansas .jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 123
We didn't have that many twisters around us (thank goodness!) but we have had horrible wind and some pretty good rain here in the last couple days! It's definitely made things exciting around here. Hopefully some if this rain is coming to see you Leebo!
Today I was feeling good about the chlorine levels and thinking an evening dose would be fine. I just ran my test and dang!

FC: 0 <- Yikes!
CC: 2.5
TC: 2.5
pH: 7.2
t/a: 110
CH:150
CYA:0

I was finally able to see the bottom of most of the pool and even though the wind rippled the water, making it a pain to see what I was getting, I did quite a bit of vacuuming to try and get the garbage out. Cleaned up the ladder and accessories today so they are baqua free and put them in. Time to bust on some chlorine for the evening - I'll probably do a test first thing in the am and add some prior to work if it is needed.
For now, here are some photos I took right before I came in when everything started settling again. Still looking good!

Day3_5.jpg

Day3_6.jpg

Day3_7.jpg

Day3_8.jpg

Thanks Butterfly I think that's a good call. I took the full test to make sure I was still within tolerances of the other values but you have a great reco - I'll stick to FC and CC for now :)

Good news, my pool was extremely clear this morning and my levels were at
FC: 14

But, I think I added a bit more Chlorine than I needed to last night (it was the 0 FC, perhaps I was a bit trigger happy...) I was going to pick up some CYA today - is there a specific brand/location/etc I should be picking this up at? Is there any difference between a pool store and Sams club/Walmart/big box retailer? Brands or ingredients I should be avoiding? Also, how much CYA do you normally use - is this a consumable item (i.e. should I be buying in bulk or just enough to get the set levels?)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
radefeld said:
Thanks Butterfly I think that's a good call. I took the full test to make sure I was still within tolerances of the other values but you have a great reco - I'll stick to FC and CC for now :)

Good news, my pool was extremely clear this morning and my levels were at
FC: 14

But, I think I added a bit more Chlorine than I needed to last night (it was the 0 FC, perhaps I was a bit trigger happy...) I was going to pick up some CYA today - is there a specific brand/location/etc I should be picking this up at? Is there any difference between a pool store and Sams club/Walmart/big box retailer? Brands or ingredients I should be avoiding? Also, how much CYA do you normally use - is this a consumable item (i.e. should I be buying in bulk or just enough to get the set levels?)

I bought mine at the pool store....as I had a credit from there however as long as it's 100% Cyanuric Acid you'll be fine. The only about of this that you will consume is whatever you splash out. If you backflush the water out a TON then you'll use more than somebody who keeps all the water in the pool. I wouldn't worry about stocking up at all. You'll need 117 oz (just over 7lbs) to get to the base level of 40CYA. I think they're mostly sold in 4 pound buckets....so buy two and the rest you can adjust later.

radefeld said:
I was going to pick up some CYA today - is there a specific brand/location/etc I should be picking this up at? Is there any difference between a pool store and Sams club/Walmart/big box retailer? Brands or ingredients I should be avoiding? Also, how much CYA do you normally use - is this a consumable item (i.e. should I be buying in bulk or just enough to get the set levels?)
Leebo said:
I think they're mostly sold in 4 pound buckets....so buy two and the rest you can adjust later.
I had this exact same question so I posted this topic.

Turns out I didn't need any cause my CYA test was way high, but that's another story.

Anyways, google "cyanuric acid", and click on shopping results. Backyard Pool Supply seems to have the best price per pound on all sizes after free shipping and no taxes. I've been pricing everything I might need this summer, and none of the pool stores or big box stores and touch the Backyard price.

Ok Boys and Girls,

First - Smykowski and Leebo - thanks so much for the deatil on CYA. I didn't get out for lunch today, but remembered that I needed to change my filter media first prior to adding CYA, so I'll pick some up later this week.

Second - Boy, did I come home to a happy family! They were ready to swim, although the bottom of the pool needed a good vacuuming you could see every part of the pool crystal clear. I don't mean cleared up, I mean that when I shut the pump off you couldn't even tell there was water in there. It was INVISIBLE! I walked through the door and my wife said - "your pool is Incredibly clear" - what a compliment! so, without further adieu - It's photo time:

Please excuse my dirty floor - I spent about an hour and a half vacuuming after these photos were taken, but wanted to get some photos of how incredibly clear the water was. An item of note here, I was able to vacuum by pool light. first time ever. Normally the pool would be too "hazy" to see where I was going.

Day4_1.jpg

Day4_2.jpg

Day4_3.jpg

Day4_5.jpg

Day4_6.jpg

Day4_7.jpg

Day4_8.jpg

What is that thing? Oh ya, it's my main floor drain - I've missed you buddy!
Day4_4.jpg

And of course we remember Day 1 - evening photo:
Batch2_8.jpg

I like this one MUCH better :whoot:
Day4_9.jpg

Day4_10.jpg

I love it when a plan comes together!
Ateam.png

Well on my way to a trouble free pool, and I can't tell you all enough how much I've loved having the community support. Thank you all!

(can you tell I'm excited? :mrgreen: )

What levels is your CC at now? Looks AMAZING!

You're starting to scare me more and more......not only is it a guy with ton of bleach and a camera......he also owns a van. :shock:

Almost there. Still got some garbage living somewhere. Start looking all around the lights, skimmers, return jets, stairs, bla bla bla. I know every nook during my swap was FULL of white goo. A quick brush cleaned it all up.

Swim party this weekend looks to be in store.

Leebo - Sound advice, I'll hop in there tonight and see what I can brush out of the nooks and crannies. After bringing up my levels last night, they were still pretty high this morning so I put on my solar blanket to "shock" a bit and get the baqua off of it (although I did clean it last year before putting it away...)

Duraleigh - Not quite in the profession, but have **Just** enough experience to make me dangerous :)

Butterfly - Good Idea, invest in what you use, right :mrgreen: I have a feeling I'll be a customer for awhile!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.