When to use hi versus lo speed on 2- speed pump

May 21, 2008
Ridgewood NJ
I just installed a hayward super 2 2 speed pump to replace my old hayward super 2 1 speed pump. I wired a spdt toggle to control the speed as per suggestions here and it seems to be working well. I discovered my pump failure about 2 days after opening the pool. I have not yet backwashed and filter pressure which is usually 18 after a backwash is 28 when the pump is on hi and about 10 when the pump is on low speed. I will backwash the filter later this evening.

It seems that my polaris 280 which has a booster pump does not work when the pump is on low but does work when the pump is on hi. Is this normal? As I never have had a 2 speed I need instruction on how and when use the high vs the low pump speed.
Thanks

Your Polaris it's going to work until the booster is on. On high water is going through it but it is not really on. It's still got water running through when your in low, the flow is so little that is it's going move very much. High is used for backwashing, priming and higher circulation. If your run time is 10 hours, you can break it up say 2 hours High and 8 Low. It's up to you, whatever makes pool look the best.

Normally pool cleaners that use a booster pump still work just fine when the main pump is on low. There is an adjustment on the Polaris to get the wheels to turn at the correct speed. It is possible that that needs to be adjusted to get everything working correctly on low speed. If that isn't it, there may be some problem that is interfering with the booster pump just enough to cause trouble on low but not on high. A partial blockage of the booster pump intake or polaris hose could, in theory, do that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.