Indoor pool?

Mar 20, 2012
Bethel, CT
I live in CT, without a heater for my pool. The fence surrounding my property is collapsing in several places and needs a total replacement. I have been considering the possibility of constructing a building to enclose the pool itself in lieu of the fence. My pool is 16x32', and I was thinking of a structure that is part shed for privacy and aesthetics on the NE/NW sides and part greenhouse for sun exposure on the SE/SW sides. I wonder if anyone has experience with something like this, and can offer feedback?

I thought that such an arrangement might help keep the pool temperature up by preventing the wind from blowing across the surface, leaves and other natural debris out, not to mention unfortunate critters as well. My concerns are whether the chlorine inside such a structure would be overpowering, even with large doors at both ends open when the pool is in use, and that the extra barrier between the water and the sun may keep the temperature lower instead of higher.

I posted on another thread in-ground-wall-buckling-t41524.html in which I described my pool walls buckling, so checking that the system still works will be my first priority.

Keep in mind that an enclosure can get very expensive to build. Getting a pool heater and an automatic cover (which makes heating much simpler) might be a much more cost effective.

An indoor pool loses way less heat to the enviornment than an outdoor pool. It also gains less heat from sunlight. The reduction in heat loss is larger, so there will be a net gain in temperature, though it won't be a huge gain. Unfortunately, indoor pools have their own challenges. First, the structure needs to be built of materials that can handle 100% humidity, which raises your cost for building the structure and limits your choice of building materials somewhat. Second, you do need to have the ability to get a lot of ventilation. Some chlorine disinfection byproducts can build up in the air and cause problems without proper ventilation. And it is generally more difficult to keep things balanced in an indoor pools, as direct sunlight on the water helps with several things, and you won't have that.

Ah, thank you for the reply. As I'd feared, it sounds like more trouble than it would be worth. I appreciate you asking the time to explain all that. So it's back to the fence replacement, but I'll also look into automatic covers and heaters while I'm at it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.