Another newb from Texas

LS1M

Mar 10, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello. I've been lurking here for a long time - excellent source of information - and have learned a lot. My water got horrible cloudy green while setting up my 6300 gallon 18' Intex above-ground pool this year. I added water slowly, making darn sure everything was straight because some of the poles slipped off of the concrete blocks last year. I also built a deck and PVC ladder, & added a skimmer. The water was so bad, and then my salt-water generator died, so I've been taking advice from the experts here, got a test kit & a ton of bleach, and it's slowly getting better. Pics of the pool are below. I put in a concrete pad around the corner (and out of site) for my 2650 gph sand pump. I also plan to add a "rainbow" water fall, but haven't gotten there yet. Been shocking the pool for the last few days.

Anyway, Howdy from Texas!

-Mark

Old cartridge filter and new sand pump. This is where the saltwater generator will go when Intex ships me the warranty replacement.
1.JPG

Skimmer basket & main drain, each with a PVC ball valve. The plan is to use the main drain for vacuuming.
2.JPG

The ladder is done, but I've got a big piece of wood on it temporarily to keep the kids out. I still need to figure out an easier way to "close" the pool so curious toddlers don't drown. My puppy did a good job posing for the picture. You can also see my make-shift pool brush, which is a big piece of PVC, a swivel mop, and a couple of tie-straps.
3.JPG

Thanks! I put a lot of work into making that pool easy to use & maintain.

To level the pool I set the concrete blocks in a circle and drilled holes between them with a 1" hammer drill. Adjacent blocks have a piece of 5/8" rebar inserted (to keep them connected). I dug out the ground on the "high" side of the yard to level the blocks. Used a string-level to get it right. Didn't work out perfect, but I'm within an inch or so. First I filled each block with concrete, let that dry, then I filled the interior with sharp sand (not masonry sand - sharp sand is used in concrete-making, and it hasn't been smoothed-out for masonry and/or sandbox use. It does a much better job of staying put :) ) Like I said, not perfect, but I couldn't figure out a better way to get it secure & level. Seems to work pretty well... I got the sand real wet then spread out the pool.

Can't wait to get the )(@#$(!!@#@)!!! algae out & clear the water. I've been shocking it with bleach for a week! But I think I'm getting closer...

-Mark

Funny you should mention bomb proof. You should look at my storm shelter design:
http://www.ls1m.com

I evacuated during Rita - 36 hours on the freeway - and I vowed to never, ever, ever leave again. Here on the gulf coast, we see a big honker hurricane evry few years. But that traffic jam was epic!

I've got a thread on clearing up my pool water:
is-this-normal-t41238.html

I've been shocking it for about a week now. It's still not clear! Unblieveable. My CYA is at 40, and according to the pool calculator, I need a FC level of 16 or so. I have it at 23 now, and it drops down to 17 or so after 12 hours, so I crank it up again. I just backflushed my filter again. I've been told to be patient, but it's not easy! It's a cloudy blue instead of green, at least.

Today FedEx brought me a brand-new (warranty) salt-water generator, an Entex CS8110. I'm not going to hook it up until my chemistry is just right, though. I'm using bleach to clear the water, and I may get some Diatometrius Earth & add it to the filter if it doesn't clear up soon...

Welcome to TFP!

Cloudy blue is half way to clear! I am on the tail end of an epic swamp to clear journey myself. DE added to the sand filter helped but patience was (and is) still needed. Remember to run your pool sample water through a coffee filter and get to room temp when testing for CYA. Results can otherwise be unreliable with a cloudy pool. Good luck!