Leak over winter

Apr 3, 2010
I had a pretty major leak in my pool this winter and lost about 3' of water, and had to remove my cover because of it. Obviously I have an extremely yucky pool with lots of algae and leaves in it. I'm probably almost 2 months from opening my pool, but If it's possible I would like to treat the algae before I start the refilling process and save on some chemicals. Can I shock my 3/4 empty pool without the pump running, or does it need to be circulated?

Thanks!
Mike

Hi Mike,

I read a post about this very thing a few days ago. the advice was to clean as much as you could from the pool, then you would have to brush heavily to get it circulated. If I remember right it it could be circulated that way.

Good luck.

Mike, I assume you fixed the leak???

PLEASE do not drain the pool!

Without test results it's hard to say exactly what you ought do. However, perimeter dumping a gallon of 6% bleach and then brushing the pool is a good start. Repeat as necessary and let us know some test results (take the water sample before! :hammer: you add the chlorine)

Scoop out as much debris as you can to hasten the process :cool:

Please keep us informed as to your progress, test results and the pool's condition.

[edited to correct spelling]

I did not find the leak, but the water stopped draining so it has to be somewhere right near the water line... I just can't seem to find it. I was thinking that it would be easier to find and patch if I could get the water cleared up before filling the pool. I just ordered a refill for my test kit, so I will have test results within a week hopefully.

Thanks for the advice, I don't know what I would do without this site and all the great people that help out!
Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.